Birdman (2014)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 6 Mar 2013, 01:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Just got back from watching Birdman.

Absolutely loved it!!! Keaton was, of course, great. As well as Ed Norton, Naomi Watts, and Emma Stone in their respective roles.

Can't wait to pick it up on Blu ray in a couple of weeks.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It was interesting; a very good insight how actors who are typecast into roles carry this insecurity and shadow around them when their careers go nowhere.

My favourite scene is where Keaton tells off the theatre critic by saying "What has to happen in a person's life to become a critic anyway?", and begins a rant about how lifeless art critics are. I clapped my hands in appreciation.  ;D

I also enjoyed how Keaton's Birdman persona is telling him that audiences only crave for mindless action and not depressing philosophy, as Manhattan is suddenly under attack by an alien invasion.

But here's the thing: I didn't think Birdman was as good as it was hyped up to be. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means a bad movie, but I wouldn't call it brilliant either. I'd say it's a solid movie to watch but not something I'd want to watch over and over again.

As for Michael Keaton? Good solid performance, but I'll be honest: I do believe it was a bit overrated. I was very disappointed that we didn't get to see enough of the Birdman persona. I thought he was going to appear every now and then similar to Beetlejuice, especially how funny he was in that Manhattan scene. But that wasn't really what the movie was about. It's about how an egocentric and unstable actor who is so desperate to leave a meaningful mark in the entertainment industry that he was neglecting his relationships with his family and friends, while fighting his own demons of his most famous role that he became ashamed of. The scene where he has a tantrum in his dressing room while his Birdman voice tells him that he's washed up is something I hope Keaton never experienced in real life. The same goes for other actors who are currently playing iconic superhero roles right now.

In short: Birdman is good, but a bit overhyped.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

All the "Best Picture" buzz going around is legit.

From a cinematic aspect, the film is a piece of art. The camera work is solid and becomes a key element in the storytelling. Same goes for editing, set design, and so on and so forth.

The performances are as solid as it gets from everyone in the cast. Keaton as the lead is an absolute BEAST and delivers arguably one of the best performances of his career, with the Golden Globe being justly deserved. Norton is great and it was nice to see Galifianakis being comedic in his career without having to resort into 'uh oh fatty fell down' mode once again.

The comedy is great, the drama feels real and emotional, and the story, in my estimation, unfolds in such a fantastic way.

Without going into Spoiler territory here; throughout the film, reality blends seamlessly between actual events only to suddenly careen into Riggin's (Keaton) imagination and then back again. Rigging Thompson is a train wreck of a character, and for me, it is unbelievably entertaining to watch him struggle with his life. I always enjoy films that hold an honest mirror up to reality and this film does that without pulling any punches.

And the ending....well ... go see it for yourself!  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I saw the movie when it first came out, and loved it.

Keaton's character is most definitely a disturbed individual longing for greatness. In Birdman Keaton showed why he was such a phenomenal Batman. Because most of the character is pschologically based.

In Birdman he trashes a room and then has a perfectly civilised conversation with someone only moments after. He can make the ridiculous seem normal. When he's getting verbally blasted by his daughter he sits in stunned silence. You feel his soul being eroded. I don't think any other actor quite gets so much across without even speaking.

Keaton deserved The Oscar. He was snubbed as far as I am concerned. What the f*#* does it take for the right people to win one of these bloody things? If Keaton died of a drug overdose ala Heath Ledger it would've been his.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 23 Feb  2015, 05:52
Keaton deserved The Oscar. He was snubbed as far as I am concerned. What the f*#* does it take for the right people to win one of these bloody things? If Keaton died of a drug overdose ala Heath Ledger it would've been his.

That's one way to look at it. You can also look at it from my perspective: who gives a fark about awards ceremonies? I already know Keaton is a fine actor just by watching him thank you very much.

Besides:

• Keaton won tons of accolades for his role in Birdman;
  • and I especially stopped taking the Academy Awards seriously when that piece of crap Juno won Best Original Screenplay.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

And that's all true. It's just a damn shame he wasn't acknowledged with the big one. But whatever. The Academy get it wrong on a regular basis. This snub just makes me like Keaton even more.

Didn't watch the Oscars, never do really, but glad to read this morning that Birdman won 'Best Picture' this year.

It deserved it.

Alejandro González Iñárritu's previous films were wonderfully shot, and I'm glad he's gained even more international recognition following last night's win. Huzzah!  ;D

By the way, I can't be the only one who thinks that Keaton's Birdman voice is a subtle parody of Bale's Batman voice, right? The only difference is Keaton's voice sounds WAY cooler.  8)

Apparently Batman was in fact the original Birdman:

Quote"Kane's initial design of a red-costumed, mechanical-winged crime fighter called "Bird-Man" was reworked by colleague Bill Finger into the gray and black clad, mysterious, dark knight detective Bat-Man. Combining the swashbuckling of Douglas Fairbanks, the detective skills of Sherlock Holmes, the dark costuming and socialite alter ego of the Shadow, and the technological utility belt of Doc Savage, Finger and Kane managed to satisfy the editor's edict, and their creation, now known as Batman, has joined Superman as perhaps the world's two finest superheroes."

I love strange coincidences.  ;D
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.