Birdman (2014)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 6 Mar 2013, 01:45

Previous topic - Next topic
This sounds potentially awesome and hopefully it might also but the Keaton Batman films in the spotlight once again.

I also find it amusing that Keaton is playing a character called 'birdman' because when he goes to rescue the Ice Princess in 'Batman Returns' she tells him not to worry about being framed for her kidnap since she can always tell the police she was taken by an 'ugly little birdman with fish breath'.  The problem of course is that it now seems she was in fact speaking to 'Birdman'.  ;D
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

In B89, doesn't Joker call out "Up in the Air, Junior Birdman.  Miss me?" after Batman blows up Axis Chemicals?  I know he was quoting an old song, but with both mentions in his Batman films, Birdman is the perfect name for Keaton's Batman counterpart in this movie.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed, 11 Sep  2013, 20:17
In B89, doesn't Joker call out "Up in the Air, Junior Birdman.  Miss me?" after Batman blows up Axis Chemicals?  I know he was quoting an old song, but with both mentions in his Batman films, Birdman is the perfect name for Keaton's Batman counterpart in this movie.
;D Yes, he does.  Brilliant observation BatmAngelus.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Trailer:
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

This film's been getting a lot of Oscar buzz lately. Apparently the preview screenings met with positive reactions and it's now scheduled to open the Venice Film Festival in August. Several analysts are predicting Keaton might finally get an Academy Award nomination.

http://www.awardscircuit.com/oscar-predictions/2014-oscar-predictions-best-actor/
http://theoscarbuzz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/michael-keaton-this-morning-came.html
http://awardswatch.com/predictions/predictions-chart-best-actor-2014/

According to Wikipedia, Keaton is credited as playing Riggan Thomson/Birdman and Benjamin Kanes is credited as playing Young Birdman. It was clearly Kanes wearing the suit in the location photographs that appeared on the internet last year.

But the poster glimpsed in the teaser appears to show Keaton himself wearing the costume. It's hard to tell, but I'm fairly certain that's him under the cowl.

It looks like they've digitally de-aged him to make him look like he did in his late thirties/early forties. Hopefully we'll get to see the older Keaton as he is now wearing the suit, complete with the cowl and black eye makeup, and speaking in that intimidating voice from the trailer. He could become the first actor to be nominated for an Academy Award for playing a superhero (even though the superhero is apparently a figment of his imagination).

Several online sources are reporting that the film is presented as one continuous shot, similar to Alfred Hitchcock's Rope (1948). Of course Rope was actually filmed in several separate takes; a technique which Hitchcock disguised through subtle edits. Likewise Birdman will need to have been shot in numerous different takes, what with all the special effects and day-to-night transitions involved. But it'll be interesting to see if those takes are presented as a single shot without any edits. The cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki, won an Oscar back in March for his work on Alfonso CuarĂ³n's Gravity (2013), which showcased a number of impressively long takes. Will he take it to the next level with Birdman and assemble the whole film into one unbroken shot?

And did anyone else notice that after Keaton punches Norton towards the end of the trailer, he makes a fist with his right middle and index fingers extended? It's the same fighting stance he's depicted using in some of the Batman model kits.

The early reviews are in. It's currently sitting at a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (only one negative review so far), with a 100% rating amongst 'Top Critics'. And it has a Metascore of 90%. Keaton's Oscar nomination is looking more and more likely. Though whether he'll actually win remains to be seen.

I really want to see this one, then.

Wed, 15 Oct 2014, 01:44 #27 Last Edit: Wed, 15 Oct 2014, 01:45 by Slash Man

Sounds an awful lot like Beware the Gray Ghost. I mean, at face value, the main character is a washed-up actor trying to relive his past glories playing a superhero heavily inspired by Batman. In the end, the character reprises their role, and is met with fame by a new generation of audiences. And the biggest connection, both played by an "older" Batman actor. The scene of the Birdman picture frame being smashed seemed heavily inspired by a corresponding scene in the episode. I'd be surprised if it's coincidence. Either way, I'm looking forward to it (a lot of other good things borrowed from BTAS). Of course, seeing Keaton back in action is the best part.

Here is a B-Roll clip I found of Keaton wearing the Birdman Costume and man does he look awesome.  I literally got chills seeing him in the suit and it makes me wish he was playing BATMAN again.

I think this is the closest to a new Keaton Batman that we'll ever get.