Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) and the Comics

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 3 Mar 2013, 13:37

Previous topic - Next topic
The Blue Box is totally worth it. I bought it when it first came out. Its worth searching for a fan edit of the movie. Called Superman IV The Quest for Coherence. They added the deleted scenes plus the score from that set. Its gives a sense of what the movie was trying to be.

Quote from: Avilos on Tue,  5 Mar  2013, 01:51
The Blue Box is totally worth it. I bought it when it first came out. Its worth searching for a fan edit of the movie. Called Superman IV The Quest for Coherence. They added the deleted scenes plus the score from that set. Its gives a sense of what the movie was trying to be.

Yep, its a great fan edit!

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  4 Mar  2013, 20:16
Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Mon,  4 Mar  2013, 19:46I too would like a Superman II comparison. I gather it's difficult given it's close connections to the first. But please can it be a comparison of the REAL Superman II? That is the Theatrical 1980 release? Not that awful Donner cut.
Assuming they want me to participate, that's the version I was going to use. Never did care for Donner's version. That said, not sure if the specific influences would vary much from one cut to the other.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Mon,  4 Mar  2013, 19:46I guess you could perhaps (if you have difficulty) show how that movie perhaps inspired comics.
Might've spoke too soon. Found scans of comic panels I made for a different (though similar) project that I believe could've served almost as storyboards for certain shots. I'll need to dig up the issues from which the scans come because I really do think fans might get a kick out of knowing how close some of these shots really are.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Mon,  4 Mar  2013, 19:46The scene from the John Bryne Man of Steel era in which Superman reveals his identity to Lois looks quite similar to me to the scene from the movie in the way it's staged (also in the fact he reveals himself by choice rather than Lois holding him at gunpoint).
Mmm, that gives me an idea, actually...

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Mon,  4 Mar  2013, 19:46I have an old Superman comic (#322 "Superman Versus The Parasite"). I think this one came out just after the film, could be wrong. It has an excellent exciting cover of a big battle scene in Metropolis that looks very "Superman II final battle". Exploding manhole's with plumes of smoke, terrified citizens, even blasts of heat vision as weapons. So perhaps the covers took inspiration or inspired things themselves.
I think I've got that one around here somewhere. I'll have a look at it when I get a chance.

Have some new ideas for you again from covers having just myself bought a wad of seventies Superman issues at my local convention.

#291 Has Superman punched through a brick wall. Nothing special exactly but looked very Christopher Reeve to me.

#283 A transformation cover showing Superman transforming into Clark Kent. Lots of blur effects reminding me of my favourite sequence in Superman II (Clark running into the alleyway and magically transitioning into Superman). The John Bryne era had a lot of these moments also. Bloody Richard Donner cutting this out of his version of the movie urgh! lol

#313 This might have come after the sequel but shows Superman grabbing a villain by a leg and swinging him around much like General Zod before the good dictator experiences the thrill of an exploding Coca Cola sign (funniest moment in Superman II regardless of product placement).

From 'The Tricks of Lois Lane!' (Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane Vol 1 #11, August 1959).