New Batman: Arkham Game Coming This Year

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 12 Feb 2013, 20:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 26 Feb  2017, 03:24
Arkham Origins is my number one Arkham game.

WB Montreal were in an difficult position following Arkham City.

Retain the template of the previous two games and you're accused of doing a copy and paste job. Strike out on your own and you're accusing of betraying the spirit of the franchise given they didn't establish it. They were being viewed as caretakers while everyone was waiting for Rocksteady's next instalment.

Origins has the best story and characterisations.
The crime scene investigations were improved.
I loved the shock gloves.
I loved Batman's rougher methods and personality.
The Christmas theme and the snow.
The Deathstroke boss battle is a franchise standout.
The interactive Joker flashback sequence is outstanding.
Did Bane justice, before having to dumb him down again for continuity reasons.
Conroy is the legend, but Roger Craig Smith did a fine job, likewise with Baker.
We actually got to visit the real batcave and enter Wayne Manor.

So if this rumor is true, I'm excited.

Making the Batmobile a tank in AK wasn't the right choice in the end. It didn't really feel like Batman and became monotonous. If WB Montreal stripped it all back just as a fast car with gadgets, I'd welcome that.

Don't forget the unique little counter-attacks, where after you block the first time you have half a second to quick perform another block. It was a bit of a bitch to time it the first time, but you once you got the hang of it, it made the combat more frenetic, even if it did break the free-flowing combat sometimes.

Batman and Alfred's tense relationship in the beginning was a nice exploration how the two didn't always see eye-to-eye, as was Gordon's prejudice against Batman.

My favourite boss battle is Firefly. It reminded me a bit of Poison Ivy in Arkham Asylum, but with gliding from bridge-to-bridge. I can't resist the corny line: "You say arsonist, I say arson-ISTE!"  ;D
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There is a strong likelihood another Batman game will be announced soon by WB Montreal.

I've been wanting this for a very long time. I'd like something of quality to hold on to and genuinely anticipate. In recent times I have been jaded with the animated movies because something that used to be a great strength has now become a weakness. After Morrison and Snyder I've found the comics to be lacklustre. The Telltale series is amazing, but that revival seemingly has some way to go, and season two seems like a while ago now. The Batman and Pattinson have my full attention, but that's another longer term project.

A game by WB Montreal seems more within reach, and I do enjoy the world building that goes with anticipating these projects. The storyline, visuals, gameplay mechanics, voice acting and the like. I make no secret I think Arkham Origins is the best overall Batman game, so the prospect of a sequel is very welcome. Origins had the best boss fights and characterizations, and apart from the jibes about glitching, I can't fault what WB Montreal presented. I'm happy with Arkham Knight being the final word on the timeline's conclusion, but anything in between is fair game. And that's a wide timeline.

The Court of Owls is hands down my favorite comic arc in recent times, and that's what we'll be getting based on the suggestions. It's vitally important the brand embraces these modern concepts (provided they're good, and this one is) going forward, because that's how new legacies are built. Focusing on past glories too much makes something a one note relic. The owls put Batman, the prepared man, on the back foot mentally due to his ignorance of their existence, and pose a serious physical challenge. What's not to love?

I'm hoping for Robin to be included in some way, vehicle use without it being a chore, a playable Bruce Wayne for extended missions, a more populated environment and a story occurring over a longer time period. I'm not expecting all of these things, but let's see what happens. If they follow the comics there's the glorious potential of the owls overrunning Wayne Manor, requiring Bruce to suit up in armor and kick them all out. And of course the labyrinths are videogame heaven – not just navigating a maze, but fighting in front of a roaring owl crowd, somehow managing to win and escape alive. That could rival or surpass the Deathstroke encounter.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 24 Sep  2019, 10:50
I've been wanting this for a very long time.
I'm still waiting, but hopefully Fandome puts a release date on the table.

Apparently the game will be a soft reboot, and thus putting a full stop on the Arkhamverse. If so, I could understand WBGM's point of view.

1. Arkham Knight was intended to be an ending.
2. Do we really want to play as non Batman characters post Arkham Knight to maintain that ending's purity?
3. Rocksteady have moved on and Arkham was their thing. A new timeline gives WBGM complete ownership over their own universe.
4. It would allow them more freedom to introduce new mechanics that don't clash with the established Arkham formula.
5. The Origins era had a variety of timeline possibilities but a reboot has zero restrictions in terms of pumping out regular games.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 26 Feb  2017, 03:24
WB Montreal were in an difficult position following Arkham City.

Retain the template of the previous two games and you're accused of doing a copy and paste job. Strike out on your own and you're accusing of betraying the spirit of the franchise given they didn't establish it. They were being viewed as caretakers while everyone was waiting for Rocksteady's next instalment.

As ever, let's see what happens.

With all the buzz surrounding Cyberpunk 2077, maybe now would be a good time to go in a more futuristic direction and make that long-rumoured Batman Beyond game.

I just don't know why this is taking so long for even some kind of official announcement. Those teases came and went, and nobody cares anymore. The last game WB Montreal mad, was Arkham Origins, and that came out 7 years ago.

I don't know why it's taking so long to just announce what it is. It's so weird.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 19 Jun  2020, 23:15
I just don't know why this is taking so long for even some kind of official announcement. Those teases came and went, and nobody cares anymore. The last game WB Montreal mad, was Arkham Origins, and that came out 7 years ago.

I don't know why it's taking so long to just announce what it is. It's so weird.
IMO they didn't know how to push forward and scrapped various projects. The new game could be an amalgamation of previous ideas but under a banner they are now comfortable with. Once WBGM started those teases I thought an announcement was imminent. But nothing, and for so long. You're right about it being weird, eliciting frustration and apathy rather than mystery. I can only imagine they did intend to reveal it, but scheduling changed for whatever reason. Who knows. Just announce the damn thing in August.

Forget about Batman, Rocksteady is teasing a Suicide Squad game - featuring Superman.

https://www.twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1291720790447136768

Finally, seven years after the end of Arkham Origins had mentioned Task Force X, a game will see the light of day.

What I'd like to know is whether or not Superman will be a playable character.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

So I guess they'll be battling Superman?

I imagine Superman fans will be pissed, like always. They'll see more "aggro" Superman. With this, I think it makes sense, since it'll be through the eyes of the SS, but still, it makes me laugh that Sup's fans will most likely be mad. But I guess we'll see with the full reveal.

Sat, 8 Aug 2020, 21:59 #28 Last Edit: Sat, 8 Aug 2020, 22:01 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Travesty on Sat,  8 Aug  2020, 16:01
So I guess they'll be battling Superman?

I imagine Superman fans will be pissed, like always. They'll see more "aggro" Superman. With this, I think it makes sense, since it'll be through the eyes of the SS, but still, it makes me laugh that Sup's fans will most likely be mad. But I guess we'll see with the full reveal.
Apparently they're battling the whole League. I'm not a die hard Superman fan, but I am championing for him to have a larger role in DC media. And I can see Superman fans' point of view, even if their viewpoints of exactly what they want is aggravating. What concerns me more with this game is the possibility it will be a GAAS game (game as a service). If that's true...my interest drops considerably. When I buy a console game I just want to buy the game. Get the funk out of here with micro transactions. If so...what a disappointment.