Batman vs The Final Thug

Started by LongLiveTheBatman, Sat, 2 Feb 2013, 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 10 Mar  2013, 23:01
It's still my favorite fight in a live action Batman movie, by far. You see Batman kicking, dodging, punching, rolling around on the ground, etc. all of which can clearly be seen.

not on my tv. its too dark! lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:48
It's still my favorite fight in a live action Batman movie, by far. You see Batman kicking, dodging, punching, rolling around on the ground, etc. all of which can clearly be seen.

Can't you adjust the lighting?
:P
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:58

nope.

Sun, 31 Mar 2013, 06:39 #13 Last Edit: Sun, 31 Mar 2013, 06:47 by BatmanFanatic93
Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 06:38
Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:58

nope.
Hm *sighs* mewo  :-\
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

A lot of people are just dumbed down by todays movies where everything is spelled out and explained verbally.  After the plane crash Batman was barely standing, and instead of blatantly explaining that, we have subtle glimpses that audiences of its times should get, like Batman being dizzy after exiting the wreck and then even stumbling and falling while walking in the cathedral. He was extremely weakened

Quote from: GothamAlleys on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 13:58A lot of people are just dumbed down by todays movies where everything is spelled out and explained verbally.  After the plane crash Batman was barely standing, and instead of blatantly explaining that, we have subtle glimpses that audiences of its times should get, like Batman being dizzy after exiting the wreck and then even stumbling and falling while walking in the cathedral. He was extremely weakened
Heh, it's funny because it's true.

There's not much to criticize about the B89 showdown. About the most I can come up with is:

01- So those thugs were just hanging around the cathedral during the Joker's parade? Must've been because they somehow managed to get up there ahead of him, Vicki and Batman. Small potatoes and, hey, there was a WGA strike going on, after all. No big.

02- This is REALLY nitpicking but Batman has a rep by this point in the movie so you'd think that the Joker's lackeys would've attacked simultaneously rather than going in one at a time. Again, small potatoes... and you could counter-argue that they are brawlers who aren't necessarily used to attacking a single opponent as part of a team. I'm just throwing it out there.

01 - I gather that's it. I'm sure the novelisations says they were watching the parade from up there. Hey, it is the highest viewpoint in the City. Joker could have asked the chopper pilot to pick him up on the street. But I'm 100% sure he wanted to drag it out and play a game. The goons in the cathedral would've seen and heard the crash, and Joker knew they were in there.

02 - Film making is my explanation. Buttering up the audience. Two goons are dispatched with ease. The viewer feels all is well. And then the African thug stomps in, increasing the stakes in a battle to the death.

When you think about it, some stuff didn't make the most sense. The martial arts goon fighting with the scimitars just jumped out of an alley and attacked Batman (it could be argued that he was in the car, and immediately hid to get a sneak attack). The reason for that was the scene was done in post production. Though I thin the fight with the black thug actually seems more in place. Joker was able to hire some highly skilled goons. Batman could outwit most of them, but this guy was all brute force. Batman tried once to outsmart him by hiding on the bell, but it was only the second time by flipping him over the balcony was he able to finally get him.

The goons were pretty interesting, there was core group that remained throughout the whole movie, which really helps keep a sense of continuity. Of course there's Bob, but there's also Lawrence, and the thugs played by Richard Strange, Mac MacDonald, Philip Tan, and Terry Plummer (probably more). Most of them are given some kind of scars or signifying mark to distinguish them (like Strange's scar), and it goes to show how loyal they are to the Joker. The only thing I was disappointed by was the extent of Lawrence's fight with Batman (accidental death). Can't complain about Bob, because he was supposed to have an awesome little fight scene with Batman.