Two-Face 1 & 2

Started by HarryCanyon, Wed, 2 Jan 2013, 15:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone loves this part 2 origin story? one of my favorite episodes and TMS did an awesome job with animation as usual as they nail fail to impress.

Who else thought Richard Moll nailed the character?

If you have the stomach for it go and watch Arnie's christmas comedy "Jingle all the way". In the opening sequence the guy playing comic book villain Dementor (with the silly human brain in his head) is played by Richard (Two-Face) Moll himself lol

I think what's interesting is the creator's wanted "The Godfather" himself Al Pacino to voice Two-Face. He turned them down sadly. I've always wanted Pacino to appear in a Batman film so it's all the more tragic for me he rejected being a part of the animated incarnation. Not sure what the reason was. Matter of fact anyone from The Godfather movies would be great to be in a Batman picture. The only one to my recollection who has is Abe Vigoda (Tessio "the traitor" lol) who voiced The Joker's former mob boss, a kind of Carl Grisson, in "Mask of the Phantasm".

I think one of Two-Face's lines of dialogue deliberately quoted a famous Pacino line from one of his movies as a homage.

Oh i love Jingle All The Way, one of my favorite comedies and holiday movies ever.

He was also in 1986's horror comedy "House" as Big Ben.

I get infuriated watching this story and then seeing how the cinematic universes completely failed to understand and utilize Harvey/ Two-Face the way this episode oh so brilliantly does.

Two-Face literally became my favorite villain thanks to This series and particularly these episodes.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

And did you noticed Moll's voice as Two-Face when you saw this episode even as Harvey Dent and did you thought of his Big-Ben from the movie "House" when he did his voice as Two-Face?

Quote from: gordonblu on Mon, 21 Jan  2013, 20:49
I get infuriated watching this story and then seeing how the cinematic universes completely failed to understand and utilize Harvey/ Two-Face the way this episode oh so brilliantly does.

Two-Face literally became my favorite villain thanks to This series and particularly these episodes.

^What he said.

The two-part 'Two-Face' episode is by far my favourite of the entire series. It ranks up there with The Eye of the Beholder (another Two-Face tale) in terms of my favourite villain origin stories in comics-related media. Dent is a man who struggles to repress his psychotic anger until it reaches breaking point, and his conflicting personalities merge into something devious, yet at the same time, heartbroken. The best thing about Two-Face's arc is his anger is logical. He doesn't blame Batman for not being able to save him, and he doesn't blame the police nor even the corrupt justice system. He simply seeks to get revenge over Rupert Thorn, whose blackmail threats were indirectly responsible for getting Harvey disfigured in the first place.

What's equally tragic as Two-Face looking at a picture of his fiancé Grace, is Bruce having nightmares of his friend falling into the abyss and seeing his parents right at the end, as they ask "Why couldn't you save us, son?". Bruce feels guilty even though there was nothing he could do to prevent Dent's accident, likewise the murder of his parents. And like in the 'I Am The Night' episode, the sense of powerlessness always devastates Bruce. It's too bad he never got to fulfil his promise to get Harvey rehabilitated.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I agree with the sentiment. This is how you do Two-Face justice. I especially loved the confrontation between Two-Face and Grace, when she told him "Was it chance that made you district attorney? Was it chance that made you fall in love with me?"

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Thu, 28 May  2015, 05:26
I agree with the sentiment. This is how you do Two-Face justice. I especially loved the confrontation between Two-Face and Grace, when she told him "Was it chance that made you district attorney? Was it chance that made you fall in love with me?"

Indeed. You could say that Grace was Two-Face's one last shred of humanity he could cling onto. But in the end, he became too demented to be saved. His manic desperation to find his real coin once Batman tricked him confirmed that. This was a truly sad story, together with "Heart of Ice".
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

To me it's the second greatest origin story in any Batman movie or tv show ever. Behind only Batman's in Mask of the Phantasm of course. Harvey's scream at the end of part 1 is so haunting and the whole first episode, omg it is so tragic. He's so close to getting the help that he needs and he's engaged and everything and it's all ripped away from him. :( And at the end of part two where he's frantically trying to find his coin and can't function without it. If that doesn't almost shatter you emotionally then you have something very wrong with you to be perfectly honest.

What sucked is they kind of ignored this aspect of him in most of his other episodes except the one where he kidnaps himself when he's about to have the operation to save him. In the rest they made him kind of just a regular "take over the world" kind of villain. But these two epis and that one I just said are three of the best Batman stories ever.

And gordonblu, you are SO right. If someone would portray THIS Harvey in a movie, omg. Oscar nomination. A real one, not a sympathy nomination.

And one more thing: Richard Moll was PERFECT! I can't possibly imagine anyone else in the role or Harvey sounding different. I loved how he changed the voices around to fit which Harvey was in control. And in the brief moments when Harvey controlled Two-Face, his normal voice came out. What a wonderful performance.

I had to giggle though when I watched "On Leather Wings" and Richard plays the security guard because he sounds and acts so much like Bull from Night Court lol. And his Bat Computer is great! Like in the episode where Alfred flies the Batwing. "Your funeral." lmao.