In the absence of a "your review here" thread...(SPOILERS)

Started by zDBZ, Fri, 10 Aug 2012, 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic
I've heard that argument before, and I just don't buy it. The only thing I'll give you with that, is Batman might of had 5 more seconds to bail, because that's about how much time was left before they showed us the clock. Either way, 5-10 seconds to bail out of a vehicle before it explodes with a nuke is pretty ridiculous.

^ Especially since he probably didn't have access to a bat-refrigerator.

Yea, several fans of the film have argued it, and it holds water.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 20 Mar  2013, 19:49
^ Especially since he probably didn't have access to a bat-refrigerator.
Priceless.

The best end to the movie would've been Bane blowing up Gotham, himself and everybody else once Batman so pointlessly lit that fire emblem.

Quote from: zDBZ on Fri, 10 Aug  2012, 18:01
From Christian Bale: "He's a messed-up individual, as well. He's got all sorts of issues. He's just as twisted and messed-up as the villains he's fighting, and that's part of the beauty of the whole story." "You couldn't pull it off unless you became a beast inside that suit." From Christopher Nolan: "Batman is a marvelously complex character-somebody who has absolute charm and then, just like that, can turn it into ice-cold ruthlessness (emphasis mine)." If this was the type of Batman they wanted to portray, then I'm afraid to say that I think they failed.

Their description of Batman is closer to what Ben Affleck portrayed in BvS.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

"ice-cold ruthlessness"? lol, not even close to what I saw in TDKR.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 26 Jul  2016, 15:08
"ice-cold ruthlessness"? lol, not even close to what I saw in TDKR.

It's amazing, isn't it? I remember for a long time how people described Bale being the darkest Batman, and people described that as a positive. But then comes Affleck and "dark" suddenly became a dirty word. Hmmm.

Despite how brutal Batman was in BvS, he's a guy who learns from his mistake for becoming this cynical beast and regains some faith and compassion once again in the end. That's quite a positive and redeemable trait. When has Bale ever learned from his mistakes?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  8 Mar  2017, 11:47It's amazing, isn't it? I remember for a long time how people described Bale being the darkest Batman, and people described that as a positive. But then comes Affleck and "dark" suddenly became a dirty word. Hmmm.

Despite how brutal Batman was in BvS, he's a guy who learns from his mistake for becoming this cynical beast and regains some faith and compassion once again in the end. That's quite a positive and redeemable trait. When has Bale ever learned from his mistakes?
That's the straight plot of TDKR. I think you miss the difference between 2 different kinds of dark. Heath Ledger's Joker is a dark character, but he's not Ben Affleck Batman dark or Christian Bale Batman dark. He's his own character version of dark. Christian Bale's Batman is a dark character in the nature of his character conflicts. Ben Affleck's Batman is, well, he's multiple purposeful killing dark. His character conflicts are really no darker than Baleman's. Batfleck's character is a purposeful killer with no remorse. Baleman is a troubled angry man who makes mistakes, big and small. Though Batfleck learning from his mistakes means nothing, because he still did them and will never be put in the position to face real consequences personally or legally as a character. The movie had his character be that way for no reason. And his character is still that. Baleman was never innocent as a character. But he was at least a character who tried to not be that. It was apart of his conflict as a character. Batfleck had no conflict like that and then the movie decided to throw it in at the last minute. He doesn't learn anything. He's just given the lesson at the end to excuse his character. It's cheap and poorly done. The movie doesn't care and no character cares that Batman kills people. MOS did something similar. This is why Beaton is generally accepted. His character was doing what he was doing and that's that. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

https://www.inverse.com/culture/dark-knight-rises-10-year-aniversary

A puff piece including quotes from Matthew Modine and Michael Uslan. It gets pretty flowery at times.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 21 Mar  2013, 09:31
The best end to the movie would've been Bane blowing up Gotham, himself and everybody else once Batman so pointlessly lit that fire emblem.
Funny how time changes viewpoints. Now I don't feel so negative about this scene. Is it feasible for Batman to pour petrol so intricately to create the logo? Is it the best use of his time? No on both counts. But I appreciate the spirit of theatricality. Batman can make things happen in unexplained ways. Bane's remark of "impossible" could refer to more than just Batman's return to Gotham. It's just that the prior trend of real world explaining made content like this stick out.

I've been banging the drum in support of Hardy's Bane for a while now, and it seems like that viewpoint is increasing. When you look back, I don't think many comic book movie villains since 2012 have dominated a film so strongly apart from Joaquin Phoenix's Arthur. And in general, I think TDK Rises looks better with the passage of time when you compare it to other films that have been and gone.