Hathaway's Selina Kyle/Catwoman (SPOILERS)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 22 Jul 2012, 11:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Fri, 25 Aug  2017, 16:23
If you're going to look at both characters as Catwoman though, Michelle claws the mouth off Hathaway. Hathaway doesn't have the look or the persona of Catwoman when she 'suits up'. Catwoman is a character like Batman who has duality and I didn't feel like Hathaway was playing two different versions of the character the way Michelle did. I don't even think the word 'cat' is mentioned once throughout TDKR. She also wasn't overly meaningful in the film, you could remove her entirely without losing much of the plot, in fact part of me wonders if the only reason Nolan put her in the film was to be able to kill Bane and Talia without having Batman do it.

Haha, don't forget Batman did kill Talia in the end. ;)

I thought the reason why Nolan made Catwoman kill Bane was to point out how foolish it was for Batman to take a stance against guns in the first place, considering she saved his life with his OWN machine-gun wielding Batpod.  ::)

In fact, it appears it was Nolan's way of saying gun violence is the only solution to disorder, as he said this in an interview.

I didn't know Batman didn't kill people when I signed on for the project. It was David [Goyer] who broke that news. And I was like, 'How do you make that work?' I said to the MPAA on The Dark Knight: 'Do you have any idea how hard it is to make a contemporary action film where the protagonist doesn't carry a gun? Doesn't kill people?

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&lpg=PP1&pg=PR9#v=onepage&q=I%20didn't%20know%20Batman%20didn't%20kill%20people&f=false
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Hathawaywoman was okay, but she just wasn't in the film enough for me to form an emotional connection. She's one of the most forgettable incarnations of the character in that regard.

She's a supporting character and performs that function very well. The narrative of TDKRises simply doesn't require as much of Catwoman as BR did. I enjoy Hathaway when she's on screen but don't miss her when she's gone. She's in the story enough for me and, I think, enough for the story.

Plus, I really love her outfit in TDKRises. It's cat-like but still in line with the form follows function aesthetic Nolan preferred. It's a good balance.

I'd love to see Catwoman wear her purple dress and green cape outfit in a movie at some point though.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 26 Aug  2017, 15:52I'd love to see Catwoman wear her purple dress and green cape outfit in a movie at some point though.

That's my favourite Catwoman costume. It's elegant and a lot less trashy than some of her more recent outfits. It was also the first of her many comic book costumes to incorporate the classic cat-eared cowl (not counting the earlier masks that resembled real cat heads).

I love that they used it in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. That look + Nika Futterman's Newmaresque voice = feline perfection.

As Vicki Vale said, I loooove purple. This would be my preference though. I'm not that big on the dress look.

Alternatively, the grey look from BTAS would also be great to see. If they can present WW just like the comics with a short skirt and flowing long hair, they shouldn't have a problem giving us an unapologetically female Catwoman.

My favorite Catwoman outfit is the Darwyn Cooke suit. A pretty simple black body suit, zipper in the front, oversized zipper ring and cat-motif goggles. Simple but it says everything you need to know about Catwoman.

I also like that one. It's a good thing women throw themselves at me (and not traffic) and like wearing this stuff.  :D

You play dress up with your blowup dolls? That is ADORABLE.

Hathaway did ok, but she didn't really have any acting chemistry with Bale.

Also her Catwoman costume was very boring. If and when Catwoman does appear in the DCEU I hope that she gets a way better costume.

Though she couldn't do much to improve the script she was given, I think I still might have preferred Rachel Weisz as Catwoman.