Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 18 Mar 2012, 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic
I watched Turtles III again last week. I saw it on the cinema with a bunch of friends for my 8th birthday when it was first released. And at the time I remember liking it. Nowadays I enjoy it for its cheese factor and ironic value. It seems even funnier if you've seen the AVGN review. As with the Nerd's other reviews, this video contains extreme foul language, so be warned.

The time sceptre actually originated in #8 of the original Mirage comics series (July 1986).

If Turtles III had followed the comics more closely, they could have had it so that Renet Tilly brings the sceptre to the Turtles rather than April. She's being pursued by Lord Simultaneous and accidentally transports herself and the Turtles back to feudal Japan. There they could have encountered the Foot Clan led by one of Oroku Saki's ancestors. This would have offered a way of introducing a new Shredder, since the modern day Shredder was killed in the previous film. At the end of the movie the Turtles could have used the sceptre to banish the new/feudal-era Shredder into another dimension. The film could then have ended on a teaser where we discover the dimension Shredder has arrived in is Dimension X, thereby setting up the fourth movie to feature Krang and the Technodrome. I think that would've been more satisfying than the Turtles III we got.

Regarding the new movie, I'm predicting Shredder will turn out to be an Utrom. I reckon they'll adopt the Nolan technique of amalgamating two villains into a single character, and Shredder will turn out to be Krang in disguise.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Tue,  8 Apr  2014, 15:22
It seems then the trend of creators who resent outside projects, that made their inventions classic characters, continue with Eastman and Laird. As I say I don't think their characters would have amounted to much besides quirky unknown indie comic stars without the show. Playmates in fact refused their toyline ideas until the characters had taken off as a tv show. Which they of course did in bucket loads. Someone even refused their movie idea until they saw the cartoon. They really shouldn't be such grumps about it. I didn't like that 2003 animated series because it stunk of disrespecting the past show. Although I did like it's animation. I knew it was going to be against the old show because I remembered reading about it before it aired. Basically I was like "no thanks". But I'm pleased the new 2012 show is more in-sync with honouring the past and uses a great many recognisable characters.

What is so stupid about Eastman and Laird's request about using Tokka and Rahzar instead of Bebop and Rocksteady is that they basically were just big, dumb, henchmen anyway. In fact perhaps dumber. You have to ask what was the point anyway? And I like the Turtles II henchmen regardless, it just strikes me as pointless the change had to be made.

I gotta say I have no major problems with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III lol (well, besides the disappointing animatronics which never bothered me as a little kid). And I'm fully aware how lambasted it is these days. In 1993 I remember kids were renting it out like crazy. It's defintely my least favorite of the films but there is some good stuff to be enjoyed in it. I love it's vastly different period setting. With a sharper script and characters it might have been the most interesting movie. I mean the Turtles visiting their "homeland" ("Godfather" style") since it's where Splinter's from.   In fact there was an episode of the show where the Turtles travel back to the days of the formation of the Foot Clan.  John Du Prez's music score is top notch. I thought Stuart Wilson, who plays the lacklustre villain Walker, did a fantastic job nonetheless. It's just he could never compete with Shredder as a threat. I still can't believe he's actually the bad guy from "Mask of Zorro" too.

Actually I should clarify, I remember reading that the scientist in the 2nd film was originally written to be Baxter stockman but such was also written out.

The third film was okay but it was far weaker than the first 2. Mainly because it was so different. I didn't like the Japan setting although I guess it was a nod to the heritage.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  8 Apr  2014, 20:37
If Turtles III had followed the comics more closely, they could have had it so that Renet Tilly brings the sceptre to the Turtles rather than April. She's being pursued by Lord Simultaneous and accidentally transports herself and the Turtles back to feudal Japan. There they could have encountered the Foot Clan led by one of Oroku Saki's ancestors. This would have offered a way of introducing a new Shredder, since the modern day Shredder was killed in the previous film. At the end of the movie the Turtles could have used the sceptre to banish the new/feudal-era Shredder into another dimension. The film could then have ended on a teaser where we discover the dimension Shredder has arrived in is Dimension X, thereby setting up the fourth movie to feature Krang and the Technodrome. I think that would've been more satisfying than the Turtles III we got.

Sounds INFINITELY better than what we ended up with.

QuoteRegarding the new movie, I'm predicting Shredder will turn out to be an Utrom. I reckon they'll adopt the Nolan technique of amalgamating two villains into a single character, and Shredder will turn out to be Krang in disguise.

I wouldn't doubt that this may actually turn out to be the case, but personally, I hope not. I just prefer Shredder and Krang to be two seperate characters as they were in the Fred Wolf toon, the IDW comics, and the current Nic toon. Both characters are arguably strong enough villains to support a film each as the main baddie, but the idea of Shredder being a guise of sorts to house Krang (and not Ch'rell) is certainly not out of the question .... I guess it would be shocking to some people. Especially the ones who aren't familiar with the 2003 animated series.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 10 Apr  2014, 13:39I wouldn't doubt that this may actually turn out to be the case, but personally, I hope not. I just prefer Shredder and Krang to be two seperate characters as they were in the Fred Wolf toon, the IDW comics, and the current Nic toon. Both characters are arguably strong enough villains to support a film each as the main baddie, but the idea of Shredder being a guise of sorts to house Krang (and not Ch'rell) is certainly not out of the question .... I guess it would be shocking to some people. Especially the ones who aren't familiar with the 2003 animated series.

Agreed. They should definitely be two separate characters. One of the things that makes their alliance so interesting is the element of distrust and one-upmanship between them.

But that'll obviously be lost if they're amalgamated into a single character.

Back when those first pictures of the new Shredder appeared online, some people speculated that the area covering his abdomen was a panel to conceal his true Utrom form. It's hard to tell from these pics. It could just be abdominal armour.

If he is an Utrom, I just hope he isn't Krang. I do want Krang to be in the movie, but not as Shredder's alter ego.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  8 Apr  2014, 20:53
Here are some new posters.

I really like these new poster shots. They feel in the spirit of the original 1990 one sheet, glimpsing the Turtles masks peeking from a manhole. Has anybody noticed this poster seems inspired by shots in the cartoon's title sequence? In the show there are quick shots of the Turtles hands showing off their weapons just like this.

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  9 Apr  2014, 19:57
Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Tue,  8 Apr  2014, 15:22
It seems then the trend of creators who resent outside projects, that made their inventions classic characters, continue with Eastman and Laird. As I say I don't think their characters would have amounted to much besides quirky unknown indie comic stars without the show. Playmates in fact refused their toyline ideas until the characters had taken off as a tv show. Which they of course did in bucket loads. Someone even refused their movie idea until they saw the cartoon. They really shouldn't be such grumps about it. I didn't like that 2003 animated series because it stunk of disrespecting the past show. Although I did like it's animation. I knew it was going to be against the old show because I remembered reading about it before it aired. Basically I was like "no thanks". But I'm pleased the new 2012 show is more in-sync with honouring the past and uses a great many recognisable characters.

What is so stupid about Eastman and Laird's request about using Tokka and Rahzar instead of Bebop and Rocksteady is that they basically were just big, dumb, henchmen anyway. In fact perhaps dumber. You have to ask what was the point anyway? And I like the Turtles II henchmen regardless, it just strikes me as pointless the change had to be made.

I gotta say I have no major problems with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III lol (well, besides the disappointing animatronics which never bothered me as a little kid). And I'm fully aware how lambasted it is these days. In 1993 I remember kids were renting it out like crazy. It's defintely my least favorite of the films but there is some good stuff to be enjoyed in it. I love it's vastly different period setting. With a sharper script and characters it might have been the most interesting movie. I mean the Turtles visiting their "homeland" ("Godfather" style") since it's where Splinter's from.   In fact there was an episode of the show where the Turtles travel back to the days of the formation of the Foot Clan.  John Du Prez's music score is top notch. I thought Stuart Wilson, who plays the lacklustre villain Walker, did a fantastic job nonetheless. It's just he could never compete with Shredder as a threat. I still can't believe he's actually the bad guy from "Mask of Zorro" too.

Actually I should clarify, I remember reading that the scientist in the 2nd film was originally written to be Baxter stockman but such was also written out.

The third film was okay but it was far weaker than the first 2. Mainly because it was so different. I didn't like the Japan setting although I guess it was a nod to the heritage.

Yes he felt like Baxter to me. I believe in the comics Baxter is a black guy? In the new movie it's a black actor portraying him. I've always seen him, besides his fly form, as being this wild haired "Doc Brown" lookalike on even more steroids. So he's going to be pretty unrecognisable I think. This is a shame but at least he's included at all. I think the adaptations of Vernon and Irma stand to be a little more successful hopefully in recapturing the cartoon. I'm also disappointed they've changed Burne. It's great Whoopi Goldberg is in a Turtles film but is she really what we expected from that character? I'd prefer him to be as we remember. What's with the change? I don't get it at all. The guy who played Chief Sterns in the original is the closest we got to him.

I think the Utroms (how do you verbally pronounce that by the way?) will be featured in a cameo role, "Thanos" style post-credits. I don't think anybody wants the Shredder to be overshadowed but I'll be pleased if they turn up for the third act as the major threat behind him. I think it'll be pretty possible one Utrom will be called Krang as a fan reference. I just want Pat Fraley to voice him again. With the recent recasting of the voices I was hoping some old voices from either the previous films or the show would get asked back.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  8 Apr  2014, 20:37
I watched Turtles III again last week. I saw it on the cinema with a bunch of friends for my 8th birthday when it was first released. And at the time I remember liking it. Nowadays I enjoy it for its cheese factor and ironic value. It seems even funnier if you've seen the AVGN review. As with the Nerd's other reviews, this video contains extreme foul language, so be warned.

The time sceptre actually originated in #8 of the original Mirage comics series (July 1986).

Regarding the new movie, I'm predicting Shredder will turn out to be an Utrom. I reckon they'll adopt the Nolan technique of amalgamating two villains into a single character, and Shredder will turn out to be Krang in disguise.

I've always liked the design of the Time Sceptre. I remember that each of the Turtles III action figures came with it as an accessory (much like the TGRI cannister had for the previous film's line). I especially like the scene where the Turtles have the brainless idea of building their own Time Sceptre to get back much to April's horror. To which Donatello points to the rather dopey looking Japanese dude who is actually going be contracted to construct it!

I'm a fan of April O' Neil so I'm glad it was she that gave them the sceptre (just wish we'd actually SEEN her buy the thing beforehand). Deleted scene perhaps? One of the issues I had with Turtles II is that April had such a smaller role than in the original. Instead the character of irritating pizza boy Keno stole her place and with Prof Perry there was just no room for her. In the third one however Paige Turco got her chance to be part of the group and they certainly got her haircut better.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri, 11 Apr  2014, 20:12I've always liked the design of the Time Sceptre. I remember that each of the Turtles III action figures came with it as an accessory (much like the TGRI cannister had for the previous film's line).

I remember those. They used to rattle when you shook them. Regardless of the movie, the TMNT3 toys were actually pretty cool.

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri, 11 Apr  2014, 20:12I'm a fan of April O' Neil so I'm glad it was she that gave them the sceptre (just wish we'd actually SEEN her buy the thing beforehand). Deleted scene perhaps? One of the issues I had with Turtles II is that April had such a smaller role than in the original. Instead the character of irritating pizza boy Keno stole her place and with Prof Perry there was just no room for her. In the third one however Paige Turco got her chance to be part of the group and they certainly got her haircut better.

I liked her hair in the second movie.

But I like her hair in the third movie too. Paige Turco always looks good. They certainly gave April a more central role in the third film than in the second, but that's the only aspect in which I'd say TMNT3 outperformed its predecessor.

On the subject of Paige Turco, she's on Person of Interest and still a very attractive lady.