Cultural Allusions in Batman Returns

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 5 Feb 2012, 14:05

Previous topic - Next topic
This was a pretty rad feature, I enjoyed it quite a bit!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed,  3 Oct  2012, 21:49
The rhyme Selina recites during her confrontation with Shreck is almost identical to the rhyme spoken by Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) during the finale of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982).

QuoteRoy:
"Four, five. How to stay alive. Six, seven. Go to hell, go to heaven."

QuoteSelina:
"Four, five. Still alive. Six, seven. All good girls go to heaven."

Wow.  My hats off to you on this one.  Blade Runner is in my top 10 favourite films, and I never noticed that before!

From Chapter 3 of Moonraker (1955) by Ian Fleming.

QuoteStartled at the great crimson words, Bond pulled in to the curb, got out of the car and crossed to the other side of the street to get a better view of the big skysign.
   Ah! That was it. Some of the letters had been hidden by a neighbouring building. It was only one of those Shell advertisements. 'SUMMER SHELL IS HERE' was what it said.
   Bond smiled to himself and walked back to his car and drove on.
   When he had first seen the sign, half-hidden by the building, great crimson letters across the evening sky had flashed a different message.
   They had said: 'HELL IS HERE... HELL IS HERE... HELL IS HERE...'

Whatever we're paying this guy, double it.

And if he's not being paid at all, that's a source of great shame and needs to be remedied.

It's interesting how all the James Bond connections in Batman Returns relate to the Roger Moore version. Obviously that Moonraker connection concerns the novel, not the movie (and the movie has practically nothing to do with the book). But even so, Moore starred in the Moonraker film.

Moore also starred in Octopussy, which features a moment where 007 draws a blade out of a sword swallower's mouth, like Batman does when fighting the Red Triangle Gang.

Then there's the fact Christopher Walken played Zorin in A View to a Kill, Moore's final outing as James Bond. And what was Zorin's first name?

Max.

Somehow I had never read this until now. That was wonderful, amazing work Silver.

Thanks, Catwoman. I'm glad to hear people still find this topic interesting.