Cultural Allusions in Batman Returns

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 5 Feb 2012, 14:05

Previous topic - Next topic
Good to know :) They gave Shreck a really eccentric look, especially when he is contrasted to Wayne's pretty normal appearance (just a business suit) in some daytime scenes when they talk in Shreck's office.

I liked that Bruce and Max (two businessmen) were similar in a sense. Both had secrets. Bruce is Batman, and cannot turn off his objections to the power plant for example. Max is dealing with crime gangs and cannot turn off his defensive attitude towards Wayne's criticism. They reveal their true selves in a sense but both are so concerned about their own issues that they don't seem to realise it. Max represents the culture of spin and cover-up, and Bruce represents the silent majority speaking up and acting when they feel they need to.

Mon, 21 May 2012, 20:21 #12 Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2012, 20:40 by Kamdan
The Vertigo comparisons made my eyes widen. Good work!

I wouldn't say I've got the same film buff cred so 99% of that stuff was totally new to me. Good finds!

Good call Paul!  Terrific and thorough post.  The film buff in my blushes--I learned quite a bit in that article.  Beautiful!

I will admit, it's gorgeous to see a film 20 years in age that I have viewed many times (for the lack of better word) renewed again and again! It's the kind of film that just has such a rich textual quality. 

Should have said this earlier, but I wasn't online when it was uploaded. It's an honour being mentioned next to Silver Nemesis in this feature, even though my contribution was less than 1% (the Shreck/Rotwag comparison and nothing else).

The honour is mine, friend. As Superman once said, "We're all part of the same team." Every contribution counts.

There is one more allusion I've thought of. It's so blatantly obvious – and actually derives from one of my favourite movies, which I've seen over six million times – that I'm extremely embarrassed to have overlooked it the first time around. I don't know if it's possible to add it to the feature. But if so, it can go right at the end.

The rhyme Selina recites during her confrontation with Shreck is almost identical to the rhyme spoken by Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) during the finale of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982).

QuoteRoy:
"Four, five. How to stay alive. Six, seven. Go to hell, go to heaven."

QuoteSelina:
"Four, five. Still alive. Six, seven. All good girls go to heaven."

The context is also similar. In both movies the character reciting the rhyme knows they are going to die and is allowing their opponent to inflict injuries on them as they count down to their own attack.