Batman & Robin...Comic Book...Influences??

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 20:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 6 Feb 2024, 19:57 #60 Last Edit: Tue, 6 Feb 2024, 20:00 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  5 Apr  2023, 22:26I... hadn't thought much about to what extent Schumacher drew inspiration from BTAS/TNBA and, vice versa, how much the animated shows were influenced by Schumacher. But the similarities go a lot deeper than B&R essentially adapting Heart Of Ice's Mr. Freeze.

I missed this video when it was first posted, so I don't know if the following comparison is highlighted in it. But in the Batman: The Animated Series episode 'Bane' it's revealed that the DCAU Venom was created during Project Gilgamesh. In Batman & Robin Pamela Isley refers to Dr Woodrue's lab, where he develops Venom, as the 'Gilgamesh wing'. In the original script the room in which Woodrue turns Antonio Diego into Bane is called the 'Gilgamesh Chamber'. This obviously isn't a comic reference, but I thought it was worth mentioning. It seems too big a coincide for the legend of Gilgamesh to be linked to Bane's creation in both BTAS and the Schumacherverse. The moment where the newly transformed Bane breaks free of his restraints and attacks the guards also evokes his transformation in the BTAS episode.

Maybe we should have a separate thread about BTAS references in the Schumacher movies. Schumacher appears to have been heavily influenced by animation in general. Batman's entrance at the museum obviously references the opening sequence of The Flintstones.

Then there's the Shaggy graffiti during the motorcycle race.

And I strongly suspect Schumacher's Mr Freeze was influenced by the version from The New Adventures of Batman (1977) starring Adam West. I'll post more about that soon in a separate thread.