Batman (2011 onwards)

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 2 Sep 2011, 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic
The entire Court of Owls saga has been the best new Batman story I've read in years.  I can't wait for the Joker!

I picked up Batman #0 at Comikaze (They were selling it for $3.00, as opposed to the $3.99 cover price).  It's my first New 52 comic and I have to say that I enjoyed it, along with its backup story.

SPOILERS:
- I was a bit disappointed though that it ended in a cliffhanger.
- I thought the opening was very interesting.  Sort of a combination of The Dark Knight's opening bank robbery and Bruce's failed undercover stint before donning the cape and cowl in Year One.
- I was always curious to see a previous confrontation of Batman and the Red Hood Gang that didn't involve the Ace Chemical plant yet, so it was cool to see them here.
- I'm also wondering, based on the ending, if this means that the Red Hood Gang knows that Bruce Wayne is fighting crime now.
- I like the idea of Bruce settling into a brownstone near Crime Alley with an early version of the Bat Bunker down below.  It makes sense for him to want to be closer to the city and the war when he's starting out, though now I wonder how Snyder's story will lead him towards returning to the Manor.
- There's some nice tension between Bruce and Gordon in the rooftop scene.  Interesting that Uncle Philip is now back in canon, though from Martha's side of the family this time.  It seems that he's a bit of a Mr. Earle type figure now.

The back-up story, Tomorrow, was also cool to see Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, and Tim Drake characterized before they became Robin.  It also looks like the Flying Graysons uniform is more of an early Nightwing outfit, rather than the standard red and green.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

QuoteInteresting that Uncle Philip is now back in canon, though from Martha's side of the family this time.  It seems that he's a bit of a Mr. Earle type figure now.

That was the thing that struck me the most about #0. The way Gordon was hinting at Philip's (mis)management of Wayne Enterprises definitely reminded me of William Earle. I wonder if they'll reinvent him as an antagonist. In the Golden Age comics, before Alfred was introduced, it was Philip who raised Bruce after his parents were killed. But since Alfred now plays that role in Bruce's origin, it leaves some scope to reinterpret Philip in a different light.

Has anyone been following villains month?

I've got Joker, Harley, Court of Owls, Ras Al Ghul and Bane & Joker's Daughter is on the way.
Haven't read any though....

...Snyder and Capullo are coming here this weekend so I have been going back through Owls and Death of the Family the past few weeks.

btw, anyone got any questions for either of the two guys...I'm trying to get a few together for a site interview - any help appreciated!

Sorry, I've just noticed there's already a seperate thread about villains month.
http://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=2377.0

I've only read the Joker issue so far. And there's not much to say about it. I was wondering if the other issues are any good.

Quote...Snyder and Capullo are coming here this weekend so I have been going back through Owls and Death of the Family the past few weeks.

btw, anyone got any questions for either of the two guys...I'm trying to get a few together for a site interview - any help appreciated!

Could you get them to say Batman Returns is amazing so I can add their quotes to our 'Comic Creators Comment on Tim Burton's Batman' thread?

It'd be great if you could land an interview with one or both of those guys. Although I can't think of any good questions at the moment.

Anyone catch #24?

Very cool. Nice nods to previous classic stories plus..

[spoiler]
...the new origin of The Joker.
[spoiler]

Not sure if it was intentional but when Batman is chasing down the Red Hood Gang leader, Red Hood One escapes via a rope ladder from a helicopter. Batman uses a grappling hook around his leg to pull him off it.

Got caught up on this. At first I didn't care much for it but I've found myself loving it. The Death of the Family and Zero Year stories were so captivating.

So is the one right now. At the end of #35 I literally screamed "Holy sh*t!" lol.

I have been reading Scott Snyder's run on Batman since it started in 2011 and it has been a rollercoaster ride from start to finish, but since he is leaving the book to go to 'All-Star Batman' after REBIRTH starts, then I will be heading for that comic as well.

Fav plots in order.

1. Zero Year
2. Court or Owls/Night of Owls
3. Super Heavy
4. End-Game
5. Death of the Family

It's really hard to put these into an order (since I loved them all), but here it is.

DC has set Bruce and Selina's wedding date for Batman #50 (July):
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/02/01/dc-comcis-reveals-batman-and-catwomans-wedding-date

The countdown begins in DC Nation #0 (May).

Let's hope this has a happier ending than their Earth-Two marriage did.