Batman Game Retrospectives

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 11 Aug 2011, 23:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Mike and Ryan at Cinemassacre play the SNES Batman Returns while discussing the movies and comics.

I still think B89 on NES is my favorite Batman game. I play it all the time. I think it's the best Ninja Gaiden clone out there, and I also think its better than Ninja Gaiden, which I also love and still play.

Cool vid. Never get tired of this game but for one flaw: these boring two-plane levels where Batman attacks only with batarangs. The Final Fight-style action is where this game excels, Batman has Haggar's strength and Cody's speed.

16:04 And this is how they can't hide their Nintento allegiance, lol.

One thing I love about the Batman Begins game is how it almost feels like playing in 1989's world. Different designs, but it's very pulpy and atmospheric with a similar colour palette (for lack of a better term). Playing it, I wonder what if Nolan's Batman took place in a proper Gotham. As I'm someone who can easily jump from Commodore 64 to PS4 and everything in between, it's a game I sometimes revisit. A PC version never came out but thank God for the Dolphin emulator which not only emulates it flawlessly, but makes it look better with higher resolution.

Begins is a good Batman game and it shouldn't be overlooked. It was doing Arkham things before Arkham (stealth, fear levels, etc), and I agree about the atmosphere. It has a dirty and dangerous feel and I respect the developer didn't go for a cheap money grab given it's a movie tie-in. The Batmobile levels weren't the best, but they weren't terrible either. The game attempted to give us a complete Batman experience and for the most part it succeeded. We also got a playable Bruce Wayne.

Here's my updated list:

Arkham Origins
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Arkham Knight
Batman: The Telltale Series
Batman Begins
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman
Lego Batman 3
Batman Vengeance
Rise of Sin Tzu

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 16 Jun  2017, 00:24
Begins is a good Batman game and it shouldn't be overlooked. It was doing Arkham things before Arkham (stealth, fear levels, etc), and I agree about the atmosphere. It has a dirty and dangerous feel and I respect the developer didn't go for a cheap money grab given it's a movie tie-in. The Batmobile levels weren't the best, but they weren't terrible either. The game attempted to give us a complete Batman experience and for the most part it succeeded. We also got a playable Bruce Wayne.

Here's my updated list:

Arkham Origins
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Arkham Knight
Batman: The Telltale Series
Batman Begins
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman
Lego Batman 3
Batman Vengeance
Rise of Sin Tzu

Definitely. Prior to the Arkham games, many considered that to be the best batman game. My rankings (in reverse order)
Batman Returns (SNES): not a bad game but I found it far too difficult
Arkham Origins: still enjoyable but definitely too glitch for a modern game
Batman Begins
Lego Batman
Arkham Knight
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman 3: I think the third game is the best but it could be argued the second one is the better batman game
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City: great follow up and the city is outstanding.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 11 Aug  2014, 19:27
James Rolfe and Mike Matei are doing a playthrough of the NES Batman '89 game over on Cinemassacre.com. They discuss the movies a little bit too (very pro-Burton). Here's the first part.

The second part will be uploaded next Monday.

Someone's animated a segment from James and Mike's playthrough of the NES Batman. You'll never look at a Terminator the same way again.

The bit with Nicholson's Joker flipping the bird was just begging to become a GIF.

Quote from: riddler on Thu, 22 Jun  2017, 14:39
Definitely. Prior to the Arkham games, many considered that to be the best batman game. My rankings (in reverse order)
Batman Returns (SNES): not a bad game but I found it far too difficult
Arkham Origins: still enjoyable but definitely too glitch for a modern game
Batman Begins
Lego Batman
Arkham Knight
Lego Batman 2
Lego Batman 3: I think the third game is the best but it could be argued the second one is the better batman game
Arkham Asylum
Arkham City: great follow up and the city is outstanding.
I think third person Batman games are going to be rested. I get the feeling the studio thinks we've had a decent fill of that template. And I guess they're right. The free-flow system works, but it can run the risk of becoming repetitive.

I've been playing a lot of PS4 lately – whenever I can. The Last of Us, God of War, Bloodborne, these types of games. This stuff is right up my crime alley. There's two words to describe them – HEAVY DUTY. They're better than movies in certain respects. Not only do they look incredible, but the violence is brutal and the themes are intense. There's a level of poignancy I haven't really encountered anywhere else, that has remained with me long after the initial experience.

I've been playing games for years, but I don't think you can compete with the stuff they're putting out today. Nintendo games are fun, but these are a whole other level. Same goes for the Arkham series, really. I love throwing myself into these huge worlds and getting lost in the fantasy and lore. If I didn't have a job, I'd have long hair, a beard, pizzas and coke and a well worn couch where I'd remain playing games, and then going to sleep.

The Spider-Man game will be worth a look. I'm interested in that, but the movies? Not so much. If it's a modern version of the SM2 PS2 game, I'll be satisfied. I think it will be, honestly, and it'll be Spidey's version of the Arkham revolution.

But something I really want to see, and there's talk it may happen this week....a SUPERMAN game announced by Rocksteady, that would be in the same world as their version of Batman. If that's the case, it's going to be incredible. I'm not sure if colors has a PS4 – but if not, he would have to consider buying one. Fingers crossed.

James and Mike at Cinemassacre have posted a video on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of the Batman 89 game.

I found this nice video by game designer Jon Burton, as he analyses how the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of The Adventures of Batman and Robin pulled off some of its most impressive animation effects in the console's history.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei