Batman: The Movie (1966) and the comics

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 3 Jul 2011, 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul (ral)

Gonna have to update that article :-)

Silver Nemesis

I rewatched Batman: The Movie earlier this month and spotted a detail I'd never noticed before. During the date scene, Kitka is drinking wine while Bruce sips from a glass of milk.

I don't know why this never registered with me before now, but it's a nice nod to the fact the comic book Bruce doesn't drink alcohol.

thecolorsblend

Not to sound all snooty but I noticed that when I was a kid. I chalked that up to a joke. The hero can't be shown imbibing. So Bruce is shown staring seductively at "Kitka" over a frosty glass of milk. I cherish this incarnation of Batman because of stuff like that. Because when you really think about it, Bruce is probably the only completely wholesome guy in that version of Gotham City. He's sincerely unaware of just how f***ed up all his enemies (and maybe even a few of his allies) are.

The Dark Knight

I know it's because the show is not promoting alcoholism, but this creative decision also has emotional depth if you really want to dig that far. Orange juice and milk are the drinks of choice for children. And if anyone has been freeze framed in childhood, it's Batman. No other Batman has the charm of Adam West. Period.

Silver Nemesis

It's a blindingly obvious detail, which is why I'm baffled I never equated it with the comic book Bruce's teetotalling until now. I think I must've been distracted by Meriwether. Either that or the fiddles (I'm a violinist). It certainly gives us another parallel with the comics.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 23 Aug  2017, 07:36
No other Batman has the charm of Adam West. Period.

True.

The Dark Knight

One of the best scenes is the "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" moment. It's pure comedy but also pure heroism. West's Batman would rather blow himself up than endanger ducks. Let that sink in for a moment.

The Joker

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 23 Aug  2017, 13:09
It's a blindingly obvious detail, which is why I'm baffled I never equated it with the comic book Bruce's teetotalling until now. I think I must've been distracted by Meriwether. Either that or the fiddles (I'm a violinist). It certainly gives us another parallel with the comics.

Completely understandable!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Silver Nemesis

This woman is 82 and she still looks beautiful.

ObserveCreativeSoul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzruiHD6Zs

Cesar Romero talks Red Hood, The Joker, 1966 series + an excerpt with Adam West (all done 'in character')

thecolorsblend

That interviewer was really friendly with Romero, wow...