Batman: The Movie (1966) and the comics

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 3 Jul 2011, 21:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Another fantastic piece of work Silver Nemesis! Thank you so much!

Loved it. Just confirms what we all knew (or should've known) - 60s Batman is very faithful to the comics of the time.

Impressive as always, Silver Nemesis.  Makes me want to rewatch the movie.

Looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises comic book influences thread...
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Very impressive. Did you take the screencaps yourself or did you find them online?
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Wed, 6 Jul 2011, 22:21 #5 Last Edit: Wed, 6 Jul 2011, 22:34 by Silver Nemesis
Thanks for the comments guys. Glad everyone liked it.
Yep, I always take my own screen captures. But some of the pictures I use are publicity shots off the web. Basically whichever offers the clearest view of the relevant scene.

QuoteLooking forward to the Dark Knight Rises comic book influences thread...

Same here. In the meantime we'll have to see if we can come up with some ideas for other comic themed threads/features to tide us over. Perhaps some analyses of the animated Batman movies and their comic influences.

EDIT: I just realised its 45 years ago this month that Batman: The Movie premiered in America. Almost half a century old!

Truly outstanding work, Silver Nemesis.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Impressive, most impressive. I loved that you even included the O'Hara comparison. Mickey Mouse comics were big down here, and I had read several "Mickey as a detective" stories as a child. I was never aware this character existed since 1939. It's likely this Chief O'Hara was their inspiration, and if I remember right there was a cop named O'Hara in a more recent Batman comic (maybe in Dark Victory).

You're right SilentEnigma, it was Dark Victory. But unfortunately he was murdered by the Hangman Killer.

O'Hara appeared in a number of comics in the 1970s too, including the Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers Strange Apparitions run.

And he made a brief appearance last year in Batman #700.

I'd be interested to know if he was inspired by the Disney character, and if the makers of the TV show ever confirmed this.

Nice collection here. I never knew it was Frank Gorshin who came up with the suited Riddler, though. That's interesting, considering the lasting impression it had.