The Unaired Batgirl (1967) Pilot

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 19:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 19:00 Last Edit: Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 19:02 by Silver Nemesis
I'm sure most fans have already seen this, but I thought it deserved its own thread. It was basically a short mini episode of the sixties TV show produced as a test run for Yvonne Craig's Batgirl. Anticipating the character's TV debut, the writers of the comics introduced the Earth-One Barbara Gordon Batgirl that same year in 'The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl!' (Detective Comics Vol 1 #359, January 1967). Both the comic and the unaired pilot depict her battling Killer Moth in her first costumed outing. I believe this marks Killer Moth's only live action appearance to date.

The pilot was obviously done on the cheap, so his costume is very basic. But it references the green and purple colour scheme from the source material, and he's still got his antennae, his cape and cocoon gun like the comic version. Considering this was a low-budget unaired short, it's not a terrible depiction. The storyline about him and his gang trying to extort money from Gotham's millionaires has parallels with the plot of Batgirl's debut story in Detective Comics Vol 1 #359, and both feature a scene where Batgirl has to help Batman and Robin after they've been incapacitated by Killer Moth. To an extent, the pilot can be seen as a very loose adaptation of that issue.

The pilot is also notable for depicting the first time Barbara meets Bruce and Dick in the Westverse, as well as the first time Batman and Robin encounter Batgirl. It's not essential viewing, but it's a fun little slice of overlooked bat-history. There's a better quality version of it on the DVD, but here's the bootleg version that was in circulation for many decades.

It's been ages since I saw the third season but I seem to think that she's never properly introduced on the show. If I'm right, it seems strange that the canonical introduction of the character never actually aired.

Still, I've always enjoyed how seemingly effortlessly she was incorporated into the show. She added a new dynamic too, which was definitely welcome. And with 'The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl!' in the background, you can't knock the comics accuracy.

Definitely a interesting piece of Westverse history.

Though whenever this one is brought up, I can't help but also think of the 1967 Dick Tracy pilot that Dozier produced. Just one of those things.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."