Check out this Batman Day tribute!

Started by Grissom, Fri, 24 Jun 2011, 00:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks for sharing the link, Grissom.  Nice to see that he used Batman Movie Online as a source about the Burton-Hickson treatment.

One thing that I'm not sure about is this part:
QuoteThe original plan was to have a now corrupted Harvey Dent, whose goal was to groom mob boss Penguin into a mayor Dent could control. Selina Kyle went from being an amorous cat burglar to Dent's mousy secretary. For the planned climax, as Batman, Catwoman, Penguin and Dent collide at Pengy's zoo hideout, Dent's fate was to be sealed as an exploding air conditioner burns and scars the left side of his face. A snag in planning the script happened when Warner Brothers, who were not happy with Billy Dee Williams' performance as Harvey Dent in the first film, bought him out of his contract for the sequels. Reportedly, Warners never wanted Williams cast as Dent in the first place. The studio's top picks were Dale Midkiff (Pet Cemetery) and Don Johnson (Harvey Dent in Batman The Animated Series looks strikingly like Don Johnson), but Burton cast Williams. So Waters reworked Dent's planned role in the script for retail mogul Max Shreck, with Christopher Walken ultimately landing the role. While Max did not appear in Hamm's draft, Shreck's Department Store did.

I've heard the whole "Max Shreck was originally Harvey Dent" rumor for years since IMDB, but I've never found a legitimate source for it.  Plus, the Dan Waters interview (on this site) has Waters bring up that Dent had a role, flipping a coin, in one of his drafts (which also would've had Max Shreck in it) and I'm sure he would've shared the whole "Shreck was Dent" idea there:
QuoteYou had a lot of stories that didn't make it onto the screen - one was Harvey Dent becoming Two-Face. That was definitely something Sam Hamm had planned that never happened. I had flirted with, just in a very small subplot, having Harvey Dent start to come back and just have one scene of him where he flips a coin and it's the good side of the coin, and he decides not to do anything, so you had to wait for the next movie for him to actually do something. Tim Burton's main thing was he didn't want to have anything to do with the first film. He wanted this to be a completely different movie.
http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/articles.php?showarticle=18

I've also never heard of Midkiff and Johnson being considered for Harvey Dent before.  Would be cool if there was a source confirming this.   :)
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

How could someone not be happy with Billy-Dee Williams?
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I don't get that either, Billy Dee had charisma in that role, even though it wasn't large.

Fri, 15 Jul 2011, 02:34 #4 Last Edit: Fri, 15 Jul 2011, 02:36 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Grissom on Fri, 15 Jul  2011, 02:15
I don't get that either, Billy Dee had charisma in that role, even though it wasn't large.
Absolutely. Billy Dee has presense. He is charming, but he also has an inherent darkness to him. As if he could really explode with epic anger. Making any transformation into Two Face all the more sad, because you want to like him. I've always liked his reveal in The Empire Strikes Back. He played it really well and it highlights my point.