Batman’s percentage of screen time in each film

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 4 Jun 2011, 01:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's an interesting thread on SuperHeroHype.com. One user has measured the exact amount of time Batman is onscreen in each movie and calculated a percentage proportionate to the overall runtime. The results might surprise some people.

Batman – 21%
Batman Returns – 17-18%
Batman Forever – 19%
Batman and Robin – 15%
Batman Begins – 16%
The Dark Knight – 16%

So Batman has a higher percentage of screen time in Batman Returns than he does in B&R, BB and TDK (though this doesn't take into account Bruce Wayne scenes). For a full breakdown of how this was calculated, you can see the original thread here.
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=335105
It's quite impressive. I'd be interested to see equivalent breakdowns for Bruce Wayne and the Joker.

It is important to remember the context Batman appears in. More Batman screen time in B89 and BR for example does not take away his wraith like personality. In B&R for example he's attending flower balls and walking through Freeze's snow cone hideout in full view. You get the idea.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun,  5 Jun  2011, 22:41
So, both quality AND quantity
Yes. On that, I also didn't like Batman standing beside Harvey's bed in TDK. Early morning or not, it's daylight.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  6 Jun  2011, 08:07
Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun,  5 Jun  2011, 22:41
So, both quality AND quantity
Yes. On that, I also didn't like Batman standing beside Harvey's bed in TDK. Early morning or not, it's daylight.

You're right and given the fact that he's basically considered a wanted outlaw at this point, I don't know how he sneaks into a hospital (although so does the Joker).

Interesting that despite Burton getting slammed for not enough screen time for Batman, his films had the most. Also that begins and the dark knight have the same amount despite Batman not appearing until halfway through Begins. It seemed like batman and robin had more although off the top of my head there were 3 (albeit) long sequences with Batman; the opening scene, the one in the middle (first encounter with Ivy) and end. One thing I wonder; what qualifies as a batman scene? Does Batman need to be in the scene or actually in the frame itself? The 2 schumacher films have Robin (and for a part Batgirl) so if his sidekick is on screen instead of Batman, does that take away from Batmans screentime? And yes likewise in the Burton films you know he's there but hiding, does it only count if he's actually being shown?

I just revisited the original thread on SHH to see if they'd tallied the amount of screen time for The Dark Knight Rises, and they have. Apparently Batman is onscreen for 21 minutes 13 seconds of the 164 minute running time, which accounts for 13% of the films overall length.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 19 Jan  2013, 23:57
I just revisited the original thread on SHH to see if they'd tallied the amount of screen time for The Dark Knight Rises, and they have. Apparently Batman is onscreen for 21 minutes 13 seconds of the 164 minute running time, which accounts for 13% of the films overall length.
The least of all the live action films, then. Not surprised in the slightest.

The facts are:

Batman – 21%
Batman Returns – 17-18%

Batman Begins – 16%
The Dark Knight – 16%
The Dark Knight Rises - 13%

Yet the myths and improper statements will continue.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 20 Jan  2013, 01:20
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 19 Jan  2013, 23:57
The least of all the live action films, then. Not surprised in the slightest.

The facts are:

Batman – 21%
Batman Returns – 17-18%

Batman Begins – 16%
The Dark Knight – 16%
The Dark Knight Rises - 13%

Yet the myths and improper statements will continue.

Ha! Is this perentage truly accurate? I was planning to do this myself but kept forgetting to get round to it. I wanted to compare the controversy of Batman's onscreen role in Returns with the seemingly fan-proof Rises. How funny. Batman was truly and severely underused in the last Bale film. I was shocked at how little he appeared. It took 40-45 mins before we even saw him.

So what do you say to this Batman Returns haters when considering your beloved Rises? Was it really so bad back in 1992? My ass it wasn't! lol

I'll believe that he was absent for that length in The Dark Knight Rises. It seemed to drag on a little at the beginning and middle. At least he had an excuse to be absent for the first part of Batman Begins. Burton still had the best balance IMO.

I believe both movies are fine: Batman Returns and Dark Knight Rises regardless of his screen time. Matter of fact I consider them highly connected to each other what with Catwoman's prescence and even the idea of Gotham in snow (albeit more delicate this time). Plus the fact it was released almost 20 years later.

But the whole argument over Batman's lack of time in Returns is stupid and should be now forgotten in light of the new one. There is a pretty severe gap I've noticed in the 1992 movie right in the first half hour with very little Batman. Michael Keaton doesn't even speak until 40 mins in. That's because they were setting up Penguin, Schreck and Catwoman and all subplots however. Perfectly fine.

Rises is kind of the reverse. It takes 45 or so mins before Batman finally appears. In Returns at least they tossed in the attack on Gotham Plaza up front. But both do it for storytelling sakes.