Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint

Started by I_Only_Said, Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 4 May 2014, 14:12 #30 Last Edit: Sun, 4 May 2014, 15:34 by Kamdan
Good work! I'm glad I finally got to see this. Kind of wish that some of the bits like the "I'll get drive-thru" and "Holy rusted metal, Batman" were kept in. Guess it's because I've grown to love them, but they do get in the way of the tone that's trying to be established in this edit. The hair salon scene still makes me feel depressed as ever, but it's a good addition to explain where Batman was during those crimes. Good job there with the green static to give an impression at what was going on there. Wish that shot of Bruce's tear wasn't repeated, but you probably didn't have anything to cover it with, so I'll live with it. Anyways, excellent job at making something out of those deleted scenes on the DVD and giving us a taste at what could have been if Warners went all Superman II: The Donner Cut with this film, because like that film, Batman Forever was the film that had so much potential if it was fully realized from its inception. When you do your final cut, send it over to Fan-Edit.org. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it.

Mon, 5 May 2014, 02:04 #31 Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 13:37 by I_Only_Said
Thanks for the compliments.  :) I actually repeated the tear shot intentionally to kind of make the two sequences 'rhyme'. I pretty much see the bat as Bruce rediscovering a memory from his childhood, so I wanted to use a similar repeating style for a couple shots as it was done in the other flashbacks.

And yeah, I know some probably won't be happy with the salon scene, but as you said it offers an explanation as to why Batman hasn't shown up to stop Riddler and Two-Face's robberies.

Better quality, properly framed file should be up by tomorrow.

Mon, 5 May 2014, 05:15 #32 Last Edit: Mon, 5 May 2014, 05:21 by DocLathropBrown
Just re-iterating how much I love this edit: I'd only skimmed it before to see the changes in context, but didn't watch it all the way through. I did now and it was even better with a proper viewing! I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS EDIT ENOUGH. Perfect gift for the film's 20th anniversary next year!

Quite a bit of 'silly' bits were trimmed, but the trimming was damn-near seamless! Even more impressed! Especially loved the inclusion of a few bits from the trailers/Seal music video (new shots of Batman and Two-Face during the bank scenes) and the reinsertion of "If the Bat wants to play, we'll play!" (which is a line I always loved).

I also love the improved logic this edit brings to the Batmobile chase in the middle of the film. It's obvious that in the script it made sense, but it fell apart when it was moved around. But putting it back after the GCPD rooftop scene, it makes sense why Two-Face knew where Batman was, since they'd seen the signal too and would be ready to spring a trap, and they'd know he'd still be by the GCPD. Makes the scene less insipid.

What I wouldn't give to get this in HD from Warners themselves, in a special 20th anniversary pack of the first three films. For my money, the one true "Batman Trilogy."
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: I_Only_Said on Mon, 28 Mar  2011, 21:20
Good news guys. Got the macbook fixed and all the data seems to be fine. The full edit is coming soon, but until then here's another clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW8MMJ9NeHg

EDIT: Youtube couldn't seem to decide whether or not to block the audio, looks like it's resolved now though.

Also, this is a good scene for the late Michael Gough. RIP
I've only seen this clip of your edit, but that is absolutely stunning. Seamlessly done. I still like it enough as is, but a BF with all of the deleted scenes included is a damn good entry in the Batman series. I'm going to watch the whole thing.

Tue, 6 May 2014, 19:24 #34 Last Edit: Fri, 9 May 2014, 05:23 by I_Only_Said
Higher-quality mp4 version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3aanvfx8vj19y8g/Batman+Forever+-+Virtual+Workprint.mp4.

I'll also be uploading the 'vintage' version that has dust and film scratches to complete the illusion of it having been dug out of storage in a Warner Brothers vault somewhere. Yes, I actually went that far.  ???

Sat, 10 May 2014, 15:30 #35 Last Edit: Sat, 10 May 2014, 15:41 by The Dark Knight
I have seen your edit.

I agree with all Doc says. This is a phenomenal job and breathes new life into BF. The original sequencing of the film, which you present, is miles better. It has better pacing and feels more logical. The opening Arkham sequence connects well with the one at the end with Nygma. To think how BF could have been, all because that opening Akham scene was deemed too dark, yet later we see Two-Face shoot his helicopter pilot dead without a care.

The deleted scenes make a big difference as far as I am concerned, and honestly don't dislike any of them. Bruce regaining his memory in the batcave is wonderfully cinematic. Cutting that, and frankly the others, which do provide greater context to the plot, was such a silly idea. They had the material right there and chose not to include it. They weren't superfluous scenes.  Riddler's jamming device on the batmobile - the barber shop scene, provides answers to the audience and gives more power to the villain's scheme. In the scene, Batman is powerless and confused.

I am all for a 'Donner Cut' style BF release. I doubt it would happen, but I'd be all over it. This excellent re-edit makes me sad about the final cut WB released, because it's not the true representation of all BF could be. The Virtual Workprint edition of BF is a solid Batman movie - and feels a lot more like the capper to Burton's.

Again, great job.

I'll watch the whole thing a bit later but from skimming through it, it's clear you did an amazing job.

With most fanedits, especially of this film, it's quite clear when the movie transitions to a deleted scene. But with this cut, the changes aren't really that noticeable. If I hadn't seen the movie a million times before, I might not even have noticed some of the transitions.

I particularly liked how you incorporated some of the deleted helicopter footage which I'm sure wasn't easy to do due to the nature of the shots.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 10 May  2014, 19:54
I particularly liked how you incorporated some of the deleted helicopter footage which I'm sure wasn't easy to do due to the nature of the shots.
That's one portion which makes this feel more connected to Batman Returns. Two-Face commenting on Batman really being a killer.

Sun, 11 May 2014, 13:26 #38 Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 16:54 by I_Only_Said
Thanks guys, all the comments here have been tremendously nice to read.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 10 May  2014, 19:54
With most fanedits, especially of this film, it's quite clear when the movie transitions to a deleted scene. But with this cut, the changes aren't really that noticeable. If I hadn't seen the movie a million times before, I might not even have noticed some of the transitions.

Trying to match the picture quality of the theatrical and the deleted footage was a struggle throughout. I blended them as best I could given my resources. In the end, the transitions aren't 100% as good as I wanted them to be visually, but I still think it looks better than the other edits I've seen. I may make another go at getting everything a bit more consistent at some point.

Btw, props to one of the previous fan editors - might've been on The Red Book Edition, can't remember - for having the awesome idea of using that establishing shot of Arkham from B&R for the opening. That was the one thing I kinda copied. ;)

B&R also provided a handy exterior shot of Wayne Manor for the scene between Bruce and Dick, as well as some Batcave ambience for Bruce and Alfred's scene extension.

Also, here is the 'vintage' version. I prefer this one myself:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/w5177zg6pwzs5ug/BF_Virtual_Workprint_(Vintage). mp4

I'd like to say a job well done to I_Only_Said for  putting these deleted scenes together to make this unofficial Director's Cut of the movie. You've done a great job of not only editing some of the worst lines, but also cleared up a few holes in the original cut. Bravo!  8)

Now onto my review. Apart from the try hard attempt at comedy, I've had problems with Batman Forever in the past because of things that didn't feel like a continuation of the Burton films. Mainly? The obvious recasting of Michael Keaton with Val Kilmer, and Billy Dee Williams with Tommy Lee Jones. Recasting happens in movies all the time, but in this case it does matter because Kilmer/Keaton and Jones/Williams look nothing alike. In Batman's case, it's a problem because Keaton and Kilmer are supposed to be the main character. In Two-Face's case, it's the same thing but it's even worse because of Jones and Williams' ethnicity. I know, it sounds simple, but I can't help it. The moment you do that, continuity is thrown out of the window to me.

But aside from those "nitpicks", this cut does flesh out a few holes in the movie and make sense of the characters actions. The only deleted scenes I saw were the red book/bat sequence and Dick training martial at Wayne Manor. But there are a lot of deleted scenes I've seen now that I wished they remained in the film. A good example is Batman being sent the wrong signal while chasing after Riddler and Two-Face's robberies around Gotham. That fixes that plot hole concerning Batman's whereabouts in the original cut.

As bad as Jones' acting is, I like how the deleted helicopter scene of Two-Face calling Batman a killer makes an even clearer link to the Burton films. Another scene I liked that makes a link to the Burton films is Batman being called to retire on a Gotham news show, and Alfred talks about the advantages of quitting i.e. Bruce's parents have been avenged. I'm fine with Bruce reconsidering that being Batman is holding him back and having a happy life with Chase Meridian, My only problem with the this scene is Bruce saying that he never fell in love before. What about his past with Vicki and Selina?!  *

*Off-topic: In the past, I used to believe that BF didn't adequately try to establish that Batman is changing his lethal ways because I thought it didn't it clearly acknowledge Batman's actions in the previous two films, and I used to think it was odd of him to discourage Dick from getting revenge over Two-Face. Now I realize I was wrong because I didn't pay attention to Bruce telling Dick about how revenge only makes the pain grow stronger and how he alludes that he continued to exact revenge against one criminal to another (i.e. Batman Returns).

I_Only_Said deserves a lot of credit of getting rid of certain junk e.g. the unnecessary crotch and ass close-ups, some overacting and dumb one-liners, and I reckon his editing makes Kilmer's Batman look even better. I hardly notice the nipples on the Batsuit unlike in the theatrical cut, and Kilmer's Batman sounds so much better when he speaks. Of course, some goofy things remain that can't be edited, but it goes to show how editing certain crap can make an actor's performance better. But as decent Kilmer is as Batman, I still find him dull as Bruce. I don't like his line delivery in the deleted scene with Dick training martial arts, he sounds too unfocused. I seriously thought Clooney was good as Bruce, and I think combining that together with Kilmer's Batman is a fine combination. 

With that being said, there are things that can't be fixed. Two-Face comes across as a second-rate Joker knock-off, and there's nothing you can do about it. The villains plot to hurt Batman is just as ineffective as Bane and Talia's plans in TDKR, it's pretty silly.

But despite my complaints about BF, I wish that we got this version as the final cut of the film. It makes Bruce's character development come around, and makes the plot more coherent. This cut would have made me appreciate the film better.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei