BATMAN LET RAS DIE

Started by MOODY, Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 12 Feb  2010, 21:54
If Nolan had wanted Batman to save Ras, he could've written that into the script.

He chose not to... and then he chose to make a point of not doing it.
Yep. Bale?s Batman is responsible for two villain deaths. That?s neck and neck with Burton.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 13 Feb  2010, 01:19
First rule of comic book movies: Guy that discovers hero's identity ends up dying.

I guess Riddler was the exception...
On this point, as far as I know, The Riddler has never died in any medium.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 13 Feb  2010, 04:26
First rule of comic book movies: Guy that discovers hero's identity ends up dying.

poison ivy killed him in a story i wrote one time.

Given that TDKR had Batman justifying to Talia that he had to kill her father to save "millions of innocent people", that alone should dismiss any argument that Batman wasn't responsible for Ra's al Ghul's death.

I really couldn't stand the majority of the dialogue in this series, and the line "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" has got to be one of the biggest loads of cop-out nonsense I've ever heard. I really don't see the difference between killing somebody outright with your own bare hands, or setting them up in a death trap without any intent to save them and mercilessly abandon them to be crushed and burned to death. Whatever helps you sleep at night Baleman, you chump.

On the bright side, at least he got to save Gotham City in the end. Too bad he didn't apply that same course of action when dealing with the Joker though.

Best trilogy ever. ::)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 13 Feb  2010, 08:16
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 13 Feb  2010, 04:26

poison ivy killed him in a story i wrote one time.

I have no memory of this story. Ugh. I wish I had kept that sh*t in a notebook or something.

lol. As you were.

The only live action movies where Batman doesn't kill anybody are the 1966 Batman movie and Batman and Robin.

Ra's death is the least of my issues with Batman Begins.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu,  2 Mar  2017, 02:09
The only live action movies where Batman doesn't kill anybody are the 1966 Batman movie and Batman and Robin.

Believe it or not, but I'm not so sure about that. The Penguin had dehydrated his pirate goons into ash and rehydrated them again when tried to ambush Batman and Robin into the Batcave. Little did Penguin know though, he had accidentally mixed the goons with toxic water, which Batman and Robin had evaporated the goons as soon as they touched them.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu,  2 Mar  2017, 02:09
Ra's death is the least of my issues with Batman Begins.

I'm not a huge fan of BB myself, but objectively speaking, I can say it's better than the sequels. Which isn't saying much. It's astonishing how people STILL make a big deal about Batman killing whenever it suits them, but ignore how he does in other films despite his no-kill stance is made quite clear.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It would probably seem underwhelming if Ra's hadn't been killed and had just gone to jail, some viewers would probably think he could easily, quickly escape on his own or with his followers helping him.

It's also understandable that Batman wouldn't feel merciful to Ra's, would think it's OK for him to suffer from his own scheme, after he had previously saved his life and that just led to Ra's feeling yet more vengeful.

Quote from: Andrew on Fri, 15 Dec  2017, 19:59
It would probably seem underwhelming if Ra's hadn't been killed and had just gone to jail, some viewers would probably think he could easily, quickly escape on his own or with his followers helping him.

The irony is that's exactly what I felt when he didn't kill the Joker at the end of the second film.

Quote from: Andrew on Fri, 15 Dec  2017, 19:59
It's also understandable that Batman wouldn't feel merciful to Ra's, would think it's OK for him to suffer from his own scheme, after he had previously saved his life and that just led to Ra's feeling yet more vengeful.

Then it goes to show this Batman isn't really that righteous after all, does it? If it turns out that Batman has no issues with killing villains after all, then what is the supposed 'moral conflict'? What makes him any different to any other action hero? There's a massive inconsistency going on there.

Sun, 17 Dec 2017, 00:30 #19 Last Edit: Sun, 17 Dec 2017, 07:20 by Travesty
Yeah, there's massive inconsistencies within this trilogy, that doesn't make sense to me. And I know I've said this before, but I don't care if Batman kills within the movies. I've been used to it since Burton made B89. My problem, is how he keeps telling us he has these morals(or characters tell us he has a code), but he constantly goes against it. It's just constant contradictions. Or is it not a contradiction, because of "character arcs"?  :P

I still find it funny in BB when he's in the monastery, tells them he's no executioner, and then kills most of the people in the temple, lol.