Superman: Red Son movie?

Started by thecolorsblend, Wed, 5 Jul 2017, 02:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Superman Homepage"Superman: Red Son" is an Elseworlds comic book story written by Mark Millar (published in 2003) which reimagines Superman's origin to have him land in the Soviet Union instead of Kansas, America. The hit story, a favorite amongst many Superman fans, was recently pitched to Warner Bros. by director Jordan Vogt-Roberts ("Kong: Skull Island"), but rejected... or so he thought.

A conversation between Mark Millar and Jordan Vogt-Roberts via Twitter has revealed that Jordan pitched the "Superman: Red Son" idea to Warner Bros. a few months ago, but was knocked back. To Jordan's surprise, Mark Millar reveals however that he's heard whispers that the studio is pitching the "Red Son" concept to other directors.

Could Millar have his wires crossed? Is Warner Bros. really considering a live-action "Superman: Red Son" film? Would this be something Superman fans would want to see on the big screen?

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/is-warner-bros-considering-a-live-action-superman-red-son-movie
The link includes some tweets between Vogt-Roberts and Millar.

I'm... not sure what to think of this. A lot of what makes Red Son great is ties to the rest of the DC universe, and how Superman's ship landing in the Ukraine rather than Kansas altered all those things. Given that a lot of those concepts are only just starting to be explored in the DCEU, this seems like a weird time to start twisting them. Plus, BVS showed a smackdown between Batman and Superman so is now really the best time for a movie with another Batman/Superman smackdown?

Some see Red Son as a pro-communist (and specifically pro-Soviet Union) valentine. Others see it as the exact opposite. I'll let you guys decide for yourselves how to interpret it.

Other questions. Will Red Son somehow be tied in with the DCEU? If so, will it keep the same cast we've seen so far? If not, why bother with it at all?

I'm intrigued but I don't see the point of doing this thing as a movie if you're not going to be faithful to the comic. And being faithful to the comic requires concepts and characters that the DCEU has only barely explored, if at all.

Not sure what to think here, guys.

Sounds like a steaming pile of BS colors. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

If they're adapting Red Son it's more likely to be an animated movie.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  5 Jul  2017, 14:58
Sounds like a steaming pile of BS colors. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

If they're adapting Red Son it's more likely to be an animated movie.

QFT. With the exception of Watchmen (2009), Warner Bros has never produced a straight up live action adaptation of any one DC graphic novel. They've more or less adapted The Dark Knight Returns, but in bits and pieces spread across four or five separate films. If they were looking to adapt elements from Red Son, I expect it would take the form of a standalone scene or set piece incorporated into one of the upcoming DCEU films.

But I second the motion for an animated adaptation. It's been four years now since the last standalone animated Superman film. And it's high time Warner Bros Animation started drawing material from the Elseworlds line. The two most suitable candidates would be Gotham by Gaslight and Red Son. I'd rank both of those books in my top five stories featuring their respective heroes, and both stories would make for excellent animated films.

In light of the recent announcement that Warner Bros is developing DC films outside of the DCEU, perhaps we should re-evaluate this rumour. I assumed the original report meant they were adapting elements of Red Son for the Cavill Superman, but maybe it's a completely unrelated standalone project. And if WB is developing live action films based on Elseworlds titles, could that have influenced the decision to make Gotham by Gaslight the next animated film? Perhaps the makers of the animated movies wanted to produce their own long-rumoured version before the announcement of a potential live action adaptation stole the wind from its sails.

I stand by my original objection. Irrespective of a live action Red Son's relationship to the DCEU, a faithful adaptation of it involves characters about which wide audiences know nothing.

Also, the entire Elseworlds idea is pretty high concept stuff for mass audiences.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Because what do I know? I'm just saying that if WB moves ahead with this, they've got bigger balls than I ever imagined.

As to the broader issue of non-DCEU DC films... *sigh*

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 23 Aug  2017, 22:43
I stand by my original objection. Irrespective of a live action Red Son's relationship to the DCEU, a faithful adaptation of it involves characters about which wide audiences know nothing.

Also, the entire Elseworlds idea is pretty high concept stuff for mass audiences.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Because what do I know? I'm just saying that if WB moves ahead with this, they've got bigger balls than I ever imagined.

As to the broader issue of non-DCEU DC films... *sigh*

What I've learned from the last couple of months is to always wait till a studio announces something, instead of jumping the gun. If it's not set in stone, then it's gossip, as far as I'm concerned. I've learned the hard way after being burned out by all of the outrageously baseless gossip surrounding the DCEU.

So unless WB confirms that they're making this and the supposed Joker standalone film, I will continue to take these news with a grain of salt.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei