What can make this film a disaster?

Started by Grissom, Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 20:59

Previous topic - Next topic
A lot of people are looking at this film to really gauge where the DCEI is headed. The story I think will be primary, if the story is not strong enough or cohesive, WB may have a problem, especially through word of mouth of the audience. Snyder is more than competent in the visuals, action and spectacle, but if it falls down storywise, it's another story (pun intended)

What can make this film a disaster?

The media saying so, and people believing it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Any number of things could go horribly awry. There are probably more ways this movie could get screwed up than there are getting it right. As Avengers: Age of Dulltron shows, the sheer novelty of seeing these heroes together isn't necessarily enough to make for a great movie. The movie itself has to deliver the goods.

What I admire is that WB isn't strictly following the Marvel formula. They're doing things their own way. It's riskier but the potential rewards are much greater. Even if the final product isn't everything it might be, I still give them points for courage and believe they're doing the right thing.

In the spirit of the thread, here's some issues people may have:

Perceptions they overcompensated with humor.
Or on the flip side, 'it's still too dark!'
Batman dominated the film again!
Superman appeared too late in the film.
What they did with Clark Kent and the secret identity.

I'm positive poor early reviews will come out, just like BvS. But I'm prepared for that.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 24 Jan  2017, 12:54In the spirit of the thread, here's some issues people may have:

Perceptions they overcompensated with humor.
Or on the flip side, 'it's still too dark!'
Batman dominated the film again!
Superman appeared too late in the film.
What they did with Clark Kent and the secret identity.

I'm positive poor early reviews will come out, just like BvS. But I'm prepared for that.
Same here. But I'm not sure it'll make as much of a difference this time. I've never seen a movie get rehabilitated as quickly as BVS. But it happened, a lot of people are singing a different tune about that movie these days. Suicide Squad is generally well-regarded.

So what that means for JL is I think people will be more willing to ignore the critics and give the movie a shot.

Fri, 27 Jan 2017, 03:29 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 27 Jan 2017, 03:32 by The Dark Knight
I think BvS is basically the modern day Batman Returns.

It's absolutely gorgeous visually, has a bunch of interesting themes to chew on, but remains divisive. Much like Batman Returns, the people who aren't fans seemingly refuse to acknowledge the comic influences as deliberate directorial choices. Show a Batman Returns hater an old comic panel of Penguin eating raw fish? 'Just a coincidence, Burton didn't read the comics man!' And the whole meritless argument that 'old comics' are not legitimate sources of inspiration because the modern comics are now doing something different.

With BvS haters, it's 'Snyder just did it because he thought it would be cool'.

BvS is one of the most layered films you will find, and NOT just from the comics.

You're right about BvS undergoing a renaissance. Snyder gave us a three hour film chocked with goodness. There's so much to analyse and enjoy. It's a true superhero epic.

I expect JL to be much the same.

Any way you want to slice it, the commercial truth is by the third weekend BVS had LOST nearly 95% of all it's business from the first weekend. It's the biggest drop in the history of the Batman franchise. Not even B&R lost that much business in three weeks (not even close). I understand people want to talk about grosses, but that actually only hurts the argument because it demonstrates how front loaded the film was.

So Justice League carries the liability of BVS on it's shoulders. I just shake my head at the nonsense of keeping Snyder as the director. It would have been like keeping Schumacher for Batman Begins, only unlike Schumacher, Snyder has never been a critics darling (Schumacher was).  So WB has done a wonderful job of setting themselves up behind the eight ball. Audiences will see it's the same guy with the same depictions. If the movie does not get glowing reviews, this movie is in trouble before it even opens because people do not want another BVS film...even with humor.

Add to that the PR nightmare of Affleck pulling out as director of the proposed solo Batman film followed now by the replacement Matt Reeves not wanting to do it, PLUS the added rumor Affleck might want out altogether and the DC Universe has a HUGE perception problem. You want to know how this film can end up a disaster? No worries. WB is working around the clock to see that it happens.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Mon, 20 Feb  2017, 01:12
Any way you want to slice it, the commercial truth is by the third weekend BVS had LOST nearly 95% of all it's business from the first weekend. It's the biggest drop in the history of the Batman franchise. Not even B&R lost that much business in three weeks (not even close). I understand people want to talk about grosses, but that actually only hurts the argument because it demonstrates how front loaded the film was.

So Justice League carries the liability of BVS on it's shoulders. I just shake my head at the nonsense of keeping Snyder as the director. It would have been like keeping Schumacher for Batman Begins, only unlike Schumacher, Snyder has never been a critics darling (Schumacher was).  So WB has done a wonderful job of setting themselves up behind the eight ball. Audiences will see it's the same guy with the same depictions. If the movie does not get glowing reviews, this movie is in trouble before it even opens because people do not want another BVS film...even with humor.

Add to that the PR nightmare of Affleck pulling out as director of the proposed solo Batman film followed now by the replacement Matt Reeves not wanting to do it, PLUS the added rumor Affleck might want out altogether and the DC Universe has a HUGE perception problem. You want to know how this film can end up a disaster? No worries. WB is working around the clock to see that it happens.
Unfortunately, I think you're spot-on Wayne49.

But for all my attacks on the DCEU, I'd much rather see the franchise continue if it at least means we'll get a solo Batman movie featuring Affleck, than a reboot.

The sad likelihood is, however, that we will simply end up with another couple of tin-eared Zack Snyder travesties, and not one sliver of gold among the muck that might have been represented by an Affleck-authorised solo Batman film.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 20 Feb  2017, 02:14
Quote from: Wayne49 on Mon, 20 Feb  2017, 01:12

Unfortunately, I think you're spot-on Wayne49.

But for all my attacks on the DCEU, I'd much rather see the franchise continue if it at least means we'll get a solo Batman movie featuring Affleck, than a reboot.

The sad likelihood is, however, that we will simply end up with another couple of tin-eared Zack Snyder travesties, and not one sliver of gold among the muck that might have been represented by an Affleck-authorised solo Batman film.

If I'm going on my gut, I think Justice League would be doing exceptionally well to even match what BVS did at the box office. There is no longer a novelty to superhero ensemble films and since so much of Justice League will be just trying to establish the participants, it also carries the insufferable weight of an origin-type story which modern audiences may not have allot of patience for. The film really feels about three or four years too late. And with really no momentum behind it from prior films, I just don't have high hopes for it.

I don't get all the hate towards Snyder.  Watchmen and BvS are great movies.  Nobody is more qualified.