Lego Batman: The Movie

Started by The Joker, Sun, 23 Nov 2014, 19:42

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  9 Feb  2017, 21:12
The older I get, the more I gravitate towards the lighter, funnier versions of Batman over the more humourless incarnations.
I know what you mean.

I will always hold up B89, BR, TDK Returns, BvS, etc as the gold standard. That's the top of my Batman tree and how I prefer Batman to be. But at the same time, I can easily put that aside and enjoy B66, TBATB and Lego Batman just as much.

I think the lighter takes on Batman are more fun. Grant Morrison's Batman, for example, is madness and full of impossiblities, but it's creativity unchained. I mean...we have Batman moving through time - battling pirates and riding around the Wild West. And it's great. It plays up to the whole idea that no challenge is too great for Batman.

I think Batman has truly reached a point now where the two tones, light and dark, can coexist peacefully and legitimately without the embarrassment from the fan base or the public. It's a good place to be. In a nutshell, I find the darker Batman more satisfying, and the lighter Batman more fun.

Sun, 12 Feb 2017, 06:00 #11 Last Edit: Wed, 15 Feb 2017, 11:45 by The Laughing Fish
I still want to see this film and I will no doubt enjoy it...but I'm irked by the editor-in-chief from Rotten Tomatoes tweeting that "The Lego Batman Movie is so good, that everyone who worked on BvS should punch themselves in the face". This editor is in charge of the same website that gave overrated piles of garbage like The Dark Knight a ridiculously high score, despite that it's ten times even more joyless and morally warped than BvS could be.

What an utterly pathetic buffoon.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I knew this would be their line of attack. To say Snyder failed and was bettered by a Lego film. They were never going to let that opportunity slip, no matter what.

And check out his violent message that Snyder and his team should punch themselves in the face. As I've said many times before, make no mistake, this is very personal. He wouldn't have typed such an aggressive message otherwise. I bet this editor in chief also has no problem with beating people, burning cars, commiting vandalisim and calling for assassination while holding signs promoting love and peace. This irony is the new normal.

We will just have to enjoy the film in spite of these people.

I'm seeing the Lego film, and no doubt it will be fun. But bring on Justice League.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 12 Feb  2017, 06:00
I still want to see this film and I will no doubt enjoy it...but I'm irked by the editor-in-chief from Rotten Tomatoes tweeting that "The Lego Batman Movie is so good, that everyone who worked on BvS should punch themselves in the face". This editor is in charge of the same website that gave overrated piles of garbage like The Dark Knight a ridiculously high score, despite that it's ten times even more joyless and morally warped than BvS could be.

What an utterly pathetic buffon.
Irrespective of the validity, or otherwise, of their comments, surely it's not the place for the Rotten Tomatoes editors to wade in with their own opinions.  They are supposed to be an impartial collation of all the various reviews for a given film or TV show, and it's not their place to give such a subjective opinion.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Here's an interesting opinion piece from IGN arguing in defence of more comedic interpretations of Batman: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/02/10/between-the-panels-batman-should-be-funny

My favourite quote:

QuoteBatman needs humor to thrive. Not every incarnation of the character needs to be as overtly silly as LEGO Batman. Not every Batman adventure has to feature slapstick humor. But humor helps give these stories variety and flavor, and it often allows creators an opportunity to explore Batman's psychology in a way they couldn't otherwise. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson's Joker, Batman is only laughing on the outside.

Mon, 13 Feb 2017, 05:53 #15 Last Edit: Mon, 13 Feb 2017, 08:30 by The Dark Knight
One of the biggest mainstream lies is that Batman, even in his darkest of portrayals, is devoid of humor. That's just patently false. Sure, it can be emphasised a lot more with Adam West and his Lego counterpart. But it's still present in the darker portrayals.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 12 Feb  2017, 08:17
Irrespective of the validity, or otherwise, of their comments, surely it's not the place for the Rotten Tomatoes editors to wade in with their own opinions. They are supposed to be an impartial collation of all the various reviews for a given film or TV show, and it's not their place to give such a subjective opinion.

Try telling that to the editor in charge.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 12 Feb  2017, 07:55
I knew this would be their line of attack. To say Snyder failed and was bettered by a Lego film. They were never going to let that opportunity slip, no matter what.

And check out his violent message that Snyder and his team should punch themselves in the face. As I've said many times before, make no mistake, this is very personal. He wouldn't have typed such an aggressive message otherwise. I bet this editor in chief also has no problem with beating people, burning cars, commiting vandalisim and calling for assassination while holding signs promoting love and peace. This irony is the new normal.

Exactly. The Rotten Tomatoes dickhead who wrote that "punch in the face" comment is not any different to those sad, pathetic pieces of sh*t who sent death threats to other critics or other fans who dared to give TDK and TDKR negative reviews when they first came out. What's maddening is that very same editor-in-chief decided to shut down the reviews for TDKR on Rotten Tomatoes for a little bit because of so-called "fans" threatened violence and spew hatred at those who didn't like the film (a film, according to the editor himself, claimed that a lot of these angry fans hand't even seen yet). He out of all people should know better than to resort to such despicable, immoral discourse.

But maybe that's the problem with this pathetic fanboy culture we live in nowadays. If these are the sort of critics that idiots look up to, is it any wonder why people behave such sh*theads and believe in such hyperbole? No wonder I don't take critics seriously. I have strong opinions about certain films and issues going on in society, but I don't wish death or threaten violence against those who disagree with me.

While I wait to see Justice League, I watched this on demand finally. Sooo freaking hilarious and adorable and chock full of tributes. Loved the premise of a Batman lego fig having all his attributes turned up to a thousand lol. Totally the attitude I would expect from a Batman toy. I used to wonder what Toy Story would have been like if they met up with Batman and now I know.  :)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."