Batman: Strange Shades - The Burton's Batman Fan Comic Thread

Started by Jhonjanor Carrillo, Thu, 8 Feb 2018, 21:04

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 8 Feb 2018, 21:04 Last Edit: Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 03:59 by Jhonjanor Carrillo

Batman: Strange Shades

• Q: What's "Batman: Strange Shades"?
    A: "Batman: Strange Shades" is a 3D Short Comic Series focused on expanding "Tim Burton's Batman" Universe. Joel Schumacher's Sequels are not canon with this Fan Made Expanded Universe.

• Q: 3D?
    A: I don't know how to draw, so I need to use another kind of sources. Of course, I try the best to keep the "3D Aura" off, playing with minimalist styles and other Photoshop Tricks.

• Q: Why "Strange Shades"?
    A: "Continues", "Redemption", and other subtitles we're taken already. Also, the whole point of this series is to do a lot of story arcs. The subtitle needs to be something that captures the whole fan comic idea and spirit. "Strange Shades" is the kind of subtitle that would fit on Burton's Batman, just because the implication of that title. Burton loved German expressionism, and that style played a lot with deformed Shadows and figures. It's better than "Batman Forever", I guess.

• Q: What can I expect on this Fan Made Expanded Comic Universe?
    A: A lot of stuff involving Burton's Batman. After "Batman Returns" and before "Batman". This comic series won't be lineal. It's not just about sequel after sequel after sequel. Indeed, the story will go on after the second movie, but by time to time, I will expand the canon between the first and second movie, before the first movie, etc. A lot of stuff will happen here to keep Burton's Gotham alive and make it feel "real".

• Q: So, this comic will have Prequels and Sequels?
    A: And SpinOff's. Batman is the main protagonist, but Burton liked to play with other figures in Gotham, besides him. I will keep that fashion here, devoloping/writting short stories about X character: Harvey Dent, Alfred Pennyworth, Alexander Knox, Dick Grayson, The Riddler, etc...

• Q: So, Joel Schumacher's movies are not canon here?
    A: No. Dick Grayson, Two Face, The Riddler and other involved characters will be Remade to make them more accurate to Burton's Batman Universe. Still, I will keep some ideas of his movies here. Some plot points that I liked, or maybe some plot points that he didn't explode in the way it should have been done.

• Q: The Riddler, Two Face...Are they the Main Villains?
    A: No. They won't be the main rogues yet. The Riddler is already a thing on this Expanded Burtonverse. He's been under the radar since a long time, and this version of The Riddler will be Rebooted like Devito's Penguin. But it's not his time to shine yet. I have tons of ideas for him. Creepy/Disturbing stuff, still close to the character and Burton's type of stuff. This Riddler won't be the one we're used to see. For now, I can say he's like "A Bad Santa Claus".

• Q: What about Harvey Dent?
    A: I want to make Harvey the most devoloped "villain" of this series. He won't be Two Face in a long, long time. I want to do some stuff with him as Harvey first. Introduce and play with the character long enough so you can feel something for him. Still, it won't be the BTAS Two Face. This Harvey/Two Face will be his own thing, or that's what I want him to be.

• Q: What other villains are you gonna introduce?
    A: Alan Rickman's Mr. Freeze, Robin Williams as The Ventriloquist, Raul Julia as Black Mask, The Joker, The Riddler...

• Q: The Joker?
    A: Yeah. He's one of the major plots of the series, alongside Harvey's evolution into Two Face. Let's say I found a way to make him comeback and keep going with a story. Not "Lazarus Pit" or "Clone" stuff.

• Q: What About Dick Grayson and other Allies?
    A: Grayson will show up in the first chapters, but he will be remade like Burton's Catwoman or Penguin. Tim always said he didn't like him because he didn't know about a psychological profile for him. I think I found one interesting enough for him, but probably people will not like it, because it will mean a 100% Different Robin. It's the complete opposite to the Schumacher one.

• Q: How will this series work?
    A: Every comic is about 6 pages long. Every one will have a different Script style. Some will be typical, some will be silent comics, some of them will be narrations, etc. New chapters come out across 10/15/20 days. This thread will keep updating across the next months with new chapters.

Chapter 01: The Beauty & The Beast
Read it here: http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/batman-strange-shades/the-beauty-and-the-beast/viewer?title_no=156320&episode_no=1

Chapter 02: A Laughing Matter
Read it here: http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/batman-strange-shades/a-laughing-matter/viewer?title_no=156320&episode_no=2

Chapter 03: Uncle Alfred
Read it here: http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/batman-strange-shades/uncle-alfred/viewer?title_no=156320&episode_no=3

Chapter 04: A New Gotham
Read it here: http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/batman-strange-shades/a-new-gotham/viewer?title_no=156320&episode_no=4

Chapter 05: The Right Choice - Part I
Read it here: http://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/batman-strange-shades/the-right-choice-part-i/viewer?title_no=156320&episode_no=5

Chapter 06: The Right Choice - Part II
Coming Soon - 04/06/18

Saw some of these a few days ago in deviantart. Solid stuff.

Interesting work. The second story with Joker and Harley Quinn is a little abstract. Did he survive the fall and is secretly left in a comatose state?

I noticed you mentioned using Garry's Mod for the character designs. Did you get these skins from Arkham Knight and Injustice: Gods Among Us DLC?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 10 Feb  2018, 08:49
Interesting work. The second story with Joker and Harley Quinn is a little abstract. Did he survive the fall and is secretly left in a comatose state?

I noticed you mentioned using Garry's Mod for the character designs. Did you get these skins from Arkham Knight and Injustice: Gods Among Us DLC?

1. It's abstract indeed. I wanted to confirm The Joker status since the Beginning, but I don't want to play with him in a big way yet. Just throw pieces of info about what happened to him and how this affects Batman. He "survived" the fall, yes. More details about that will come in the future. After the 1989 events, he's left in a comatose state, like you say. Batman visits him almost every night just to make sure he's still there, and always tempted to finish the job.

I want to build up Joker's Return (Because he will come back, of course) slowly, developing Batman's Character and other things first. Of course, I will touch this subplot by time to time in the most abstract ways I can, because I want the readers to come to conclusions themselfs and not, you know, explain the Joke in a very "expository dialogue" way. You know, play with the "Show, don't tell" format. I don't know, I'm having fun with this Joker sub-plot, honestly.

2. To make all of this models, I used mesh parts from different games: Yakuzas Games, Fallout, Arkham Games, Injustice Games, etc...

I did not use GMod for the character designs tho, except for Scenarios and some props. For the Models, I used XPS, Blender and DAZ 3D. I use DAZ to construct the Face and Base Bodies, with accurate body shapes. Then I use XPS and I give them the designs I want, or the more accurate clothes I can find to make it close to my design ideas. Then, I use Blender to fix problems or manipulate the cloth/Body polygons. After a model is finished, I open XPS to pose it the way I want, then I use Photoshop, I joint every piece into a Comic Panel, etc, etc.

Here are some example:

Quote from: Jhonjanor Carrillo on Sat, 10 Feb  2018, 22:00
Batman visits him almost every night just to make sure he's still there, and always tempted to finish the job.

This is a nice touch that ties together very well with the final moments in BR, where Batman says he nor Catwoman are above the law. Sparing a comatose Joker with every chance he gets would show he has turned a corner morally, especially after seeing how Catwoman wanting to get her own revenge was driving her crazy.

I want to build up Joker's Return (Because he will come back, of course) slowly, developing Batman's Character and other things first. Of course, I will touch this subplot by time to time in the most abstract ways I can, because I want the readers to come to conclusions themselfs and not, you know, explain the Joke in a very "expository dialogue" way. You know, play with the "Show, don't tell" format. I don't know, I'm having fun with this Joker sub-plot, honestly.

I totally understand what you mean by "show, don't tell". Sadly, I get the impression that's becoming an art-form that people don't notice or appreciate nowadays.

Thanks for the info about those character designs, nice work!
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 08:03 #5 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 08:05 by Jhonjanor Carrillo
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 11 Feb  2018, 02:03
Batman visits him almost every night just to make sure he's still there, and always tempted to finish the job.

This is a nice touch that ties together very well with the final moments in BR, where Batman says he nor Catwoman are above the law. Sparing a comatose Joker with every chance he gets would show he has turned a corner morally, especially after seeing how Catwoman wanting to get her own revenge was driving her crazy.

I totally understand what you mean by "show, don't tell". Sadly, I get the impression that's becoming an art-form that people don't notice or appreciate nowadays.

Thanks for the info about those character designs, nice work!

1. Indeed. In fact, The second story alone in this "fan-canon" it's a prequel/prologue to "Batman Returns" already, because it happens the same night when the Red Circus Triangle Gang attack Max Shreck (Take a look to the Clock on Page 04). I always liked the scene of Bruce sitting alone on Wayne Manor, so I tried to expand that with this short story, and also keep going with the idea that Burton's Batman it's psychologically unstable.

2. Yeah, I wish people tried more the "Show, Don't tell" technique this days. I'm doing this whole project to test some Script styles and see how I work with them. Burton's Batman dealed with "Show, Don't tell" stuff a lot, so it will be fun to challenge myself and see where I can go with this.

3. Thanks for your comments man. I've been watching this forum for years, specially the Burton/Schumacher Movie sections, this is the first time I decided to post something. It was thanks to this place that I discovered things like the novelization of "Batman Forever" or the "Batman '89" comic project that was turned down years ago. I wanted to share this knowing that there was people here who loved Burton's Batman Stuff, so it relieves me a lot to see you're liking this stuff. Can't wait to show the stuff I'm making. Have a nice day, Laughing Fish.

UPDATE 06-04-18:
-Thanks to personal issues, "BSS: #06" will be delayed some days. It will come out around 08-04-18 or 10-04-18.
-To excuse this delay, here you have the first page of the comic, as a preview: