Batgirl (2022)

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Whedon's out.

QuoteJoss Whedon is saying goodbye to DC Entertainment heroine Batgirl.

Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer among other pop culture touchstones, is exiting the Warner Bros. feature project, which he was writing and was slated to direct.

"Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn't have a story," Whedon told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. Referring to DC president Geoff Johns and Warner Bros. Picture Group president Toby Emmerich, Whedon added, "I'm grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I...uh, is there a sexier word for 'failed?'"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joss-whedon-exits-batgirl-movie-1087384

That's a pleasant surprise. I thought he was going to be a big player in their future projects?

I wonder if he's saying goodbye to DC Entertainment for good?

Perhaps his role was strictly reshooting parts of Justice League? They further justified his involvement with Justice League by saying he was going to be writing and directing Batgirl. Which has miraculously fallen over. Hmm. Interesting.

Quote from: Joss Whedon
"I'm grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I...uh, is there a sexier word for 'failed?'"

What an idiot. Whedon seriously needs to drop the Valley girl act, it's getting pathetic. I had sympathy for him a couple of years ago because I thought the criticism against his writing for Black Widow in Avengers: Age of Ultron was uncalled for and misunderstood. But his conduct over the last few months following JL's release has pissed me off.

Last year, WB told the entire world that Whedon would come in and finish the film as a favour for Snyder because of tragic circumstances. I'm now having a hard time believing this is the case because Whedon's disrespectful conduct in the last couple of months is giving away a negative impression:

-He liked tweets criticising Steppenwolf. Utterly distasteful when you were paid to help finish the film as a 'favour', as we were led to believe by the studio.

-He NEVER promoted JL on Twitter at all. But I did see him praise the 'masterpiece' Thor Ragnarok, which judging by the few scenes I watched from that movie, it looked like an offensive spoof on the character and a complete abandonment from the Nordic MCU hero we were introduced to back in 2011. But I digress.

-He makes this idiotic quip as quoted above, as if he officially directed JL. You know what? Those rumours about Snyder being phased out might've been true after all, because apparently, he and his photographer Clay Enos have allegedly liked the news to Whedon leaving Batgirl:
https://twitter.com/TheBatSkeptic/status/966893453081690114

Now to be fair, it could be Photoshopped, but who knows?

One more thing: isn't it ironic, that for all the accusations Snyder gets for being 'misogynistic', it's Whedon the one who gets accused by his own ex-wife for treating women badly, and had that Flash falling down on WW joke? Mind you, I don't find that scene offensive or funny, I'm just trying to make a point.

TLDR: good riddance.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I honestly can't take anybody's words seriously, when to comes to the DCEU anymore. Way too much lying, PR spin, deception, early announcements that get canned, etc. It's getting beyond annoying trying to follow these movies, now. One second they announce a new movie, 3 months later they cancel it. One second they have a director excited about doing the movie, the next they drop out. One second we hear how great a movie is from early reactions, the next everyone hates it. I mean, they even used Snyder's tragedy, as PR spin to showcase how much they care for him, and we find out later he was fired before it even happened. etc, etc, etc....

I'm not even that mad or sad about Whedon's departure, I just can't take all of these blatant lies, that we find out about months later.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 23 Feb  2018, 21:17
I'm not even that mad or sad about Whedon's departure, I just can't take all of these blatant lies, that we find out about months later.

I think you'll find on social media that the majority of DC fans are delighted by the news about Whedon.

I don't give a damn about WB, they're just a company who only cares about money like anybody else. But I can't believe the lack of professionalism by all parties involved.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Now that filming is underway and Michael Keaton is confirmed to star, in addition to his return in The Flash, mere are some set photos taken of a mural featuring Batman and Robin.

A close up on the Robin shot reveals this is traced directly from the variant cover of the Robin 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super Spectacular comic.

So Drake Winston's Robin has been whitewashed, eh? Either that, or we're led to believe Keaton's Batman had multiple Robins in the future. But if that's the case, why is one Robin more honoured than the others? If Tim Burton was going to have Robin in his third movie, his version would never look like the Pre-Crisis comic book character.

I made it clear before I don't like the direction of where The Flash and Batgirl is going. Not only I am concerned with the fate of Batfleck and other Snyderverse characters, I'm just as equally concerned with the Burtonverse stuff. Keaton living in the same world as JK Simmons' Commissioner Gordon breaks two continuities, and this movie will have to retcon or outright ignore the events of the Batman 89 comics. Whether you love or hate those comics, you gotta ask why would DC even bother to give Sam Hamm and Joe Quinones the green light if their comic book sequel to the Burton era was going to be retconned anyway?

I've already talked ad naueseum about issues in trying to merge Keaton into another timeline. Carrying over his history brings a lot of handicaps, because Joker and Penguin are dead. But if they are brought back to life, Nicholson and DeVito are too old to reprise their characters. That would mean other actors would have to play them. But even if they do that, you still have to make additional changes to the characters' backstories to fit into this Batgirl world, which would drift further away from the Burton continuity. Besides, where does this leave Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn? Do they seriously expect us to believe she had a relationship with another Joker other than Leto's?

Another question I have: is Michael Keaton even playing Tim Burton's Batman anymore? Is Burton, Sam Hamm, or Daniel Waters for that matter, involved in any of these productions from a consultation point of view?

This is yet another example of gross mismanagement by the spiteful, incompetent troublemakers in charge of WB. Unless drastic changes somehow happen, I have no interest seeing Batgirl and The Flash whatsoever.

Dylan O'Brien is rumored to be Robin/Nightwing for the DCEU. Batgirl is supposed to set up his movie.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 12 Jan  2022, 16:04
Dylan O'Brien is rumored to be Robin/Nightwing for the DCEU. Batgirl is supposed to set up his movie.
If the DCEU is instantly expanding the roster to Batgirl and Nightwing via storytelling convenience I think it's more likely Reeves keeps his universe contained to just Batman, or at the very least introduces Robin. He has spin-off shows to help expand and flesh out his world, but I imagine the main meat of the story will be contained in the films. And the best guess is there will be three. Even if that moment is saved for the last film, I'd like to see Robin in the suit and fighting. If used, I don't think the franchise should run away from the true spirit of the character any longer, as was the case with Blake.

Whoever is in charge of the Batgirl film news Twitter page must be working for the studio, because they have access to all of these photos of movie props. The most ridiculous of all is this picture that suggests Keaton's new continuity will borrow some aspects from BvS.

You gotta love the spelling mistake on Lex LUTHOR's name there.  ::)

If that wasn't stupid enough, I heard a rumour suggesting that Keaton's Robin has died. Just like Batfleck had a dead Robin in BvS. Then again, I've also heard another rumour he had multiple Robins over the years.

Another rumour I've heard is the producers wanted Affleck to be in Batgirl but he turned the offer down , so the petty dickheads decided to use some of his continuity and merge it with Keaton out of spite. It's bad enough Keaton isn't playing the Burtonverse Batman anymore, they have to mesh another Batman continuity with a new one? This is going to confuse a lot of people.

I've seen more photos of other magazine props containing Easter eggs of Hugo Strange, Killer Moth and the Court of Owls, but my anticipation for Batgirl is so low I can't even be bothered to share them.