Batman- Dead to Rights

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 22:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 25 Apr  2017, 07:39
Holy crap, that scene is damned near perfect. He mourns, he celebrates, he jokes, he laughs, he rushes off to the next thing with an ADD-level of forgetfulness about what just happened seconds earlier. I mean... it's perfect!
Romero really has it all. As said, the only thing he doesn't do is kill a bunch of people. But I don't see that as a big problem. He didn't put Batman and Robin in those deathtraps because he wanted them to live. The Joker doesn't have a problem with killing Batman. It just has to be perfect when the time comes.

Thu, 4 May 2017, 06:51 #11 Last Edit: Thu, 4 May 2017, 07:01 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 24 Apr  2017, 23:46
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 24 Apr  2017, 11:25
Leto? I honestly can't summon the passion to mention much about him right now.

As discussed many times already, Leto was wasted. There's no question about it.

I don't believe David Ayer is telling the truth that the theatrical cut was exactly what he intended all along. But for argument's sake, let's say he is. I think it would've made a lot of sense if Joker's involvement in Suicide Squad was kept as a secret, not advertising Leto as second billing in the credits, and only show him in Harley's backstory and breaking her out of prison in the end. And completely remove that pointless subplot where he failed to capture her during the film. The Joker would've been more of a pleasant surprise for the audience, and it might've increased people's anticipation when he appears next time.

It's not too late though. Leto can still come back and have more of an impact.
You're right.

Suicide Squad is from Harley's perspective. Therefore the Joker is secondary to her. She's incarcerated. Joker turns off her neck bomb and ultimately succeeds in rescuing her. It's an extended cameo at most, and for that purpose, the Joker works well enough. As you rightly say, if we didn't even know the Joker was going to appear, it would've been even better. I'm really hoping Leto comes back in the Batman solo.

As for the film itself, I watched the extended cut again yesterday and I rather enjoyed it. Margot's Robbie is good fun. The camera loves her and she chews the scenery. I like Will Smith's performance. Waller is solid. The film isn't a Dawn of Justice, but it contains its fair share of good elements. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

7.5? Sounds about right. In the final analysis, all I really needed from Suicide Squad was that it not suck. The fact that it's as good as it is was a welcome surprise for me. The crime fiction element is something original for these superhero movies so that alone makes the movie pretty unique in the marketplace.

I remain convinced that WB got scared out of their minds in the aftermath of BVS so Suicide Squad got committee-banged. Which might not be a bad thing in the end, actually. Even so, I'd like to see what was originally intended for the movie. I'm not at all convinced that the movie that hit theaters was what the cast and crew thought they were making when the original shooting wrapped up.

Leto has a lot of potential... and I can't shake the suspicion that most of it ended up on whatever passes as the digital equivalent of the cutting room floor.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  4 May  2017, 07:45
Leto has a lot of potential... and I can't shake the suspicion that most of it ended up on whatever passes as the digital equivalent of the cutting room floor.

That's exactly what the man himself suggested in an interview last year:

"Were there any that didn't get cut? I'm asking you, were there any that didn't get cut? There were so many scenes that got cut from the movie, I couldn't even start," he said. "If I die anytime soon, it's probably likely that it'll surface somewhere. That's the good news about the death of an actor is all that stuff seems to come out."

Source: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/suicide-squad-jared-leto-joker-scenes-cut-deleted-1201831587/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

7.5? Sounds about right.
I think it's a fair score. The good outweighs any bad in my book.
I'm not at all convinced that the movie that hit theaters was what the cast and crew thought they were making when the original shooting wrapped up.
That is clear. However I let all those 'what ifs' go. What we have isn't without merit. It's actually a pretty enjoyable film as it stands. Scenes like Deadshot getting his client to double the money are breezy fun. Same goes for moments like Harley taking down multiple foes while in the elevator. I can't help but enjoy that stuff.

I like how SS is very much its own thing but still connects to the big picture. Superman is directly referenced a number of times, The Flash arrests Captain Boomerang and the post credit scene sets up Justice League. It's not heavy stuff but it's enough to keep the momentum going.
Even so, I'd like to see what was originally intended for the movie.
I would too, but that ship has sailed.