Marvel's Punisher

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 29 Apr 2016, 14:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 28 Aug  2017, 22:20

My special area of interest is obviously DD, so the other Netflix shows don't appeal to me as much. But I've watched all of them so far and found each to be reasonably enjoyable. However none of the other shows comes close to DD in terms of quality or sheer awesomeness. You should certainly check out The Defenders though, Azrael. I don't want to give spoilers away, but it ends with Matt in a situation that will lead directly into DD season 3. It's sort of like DD season 2.5.

It's only that I found the others less than interesting - and all this talk of the first season of Iron Fist being not being very good..

Well, since I assume it's not mandatory to have watched the other three, and since as you say it's essentially DD 2.5, I'll check it out.

Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 28 Aug  2017, 18:58I take it you're Nintendo.

Does this mean we have to start fighting, lol.

Quote from: Azrael on Tue, 29 Aug  2017, 17:03

My special area of interest is obviously DD, so the other Netflix shows don't appeal to me as much. But I've watched all of them so far and found each to be reasonably enjoyable. However none of the other shows comes close to DD in terms of quality or sheer awesomeness. You should certainly check out The Defenders though, Azrael. I don't want to give spoilers away, but it ends with Matt in a situation that will lead directly into DD season 3. It's sort of like DD season 2.5.

It's only that I found the others less than interesting - and all this talk of the first season of Iron Fist being not being very good..

Well, since I assume it's not mandatory to have watched the other three, and since as you say it's essentially DD 2.5, I'll check it out.

Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 28 Aug  2017, 18:58I take it you're Nintendo.

Does this mean we have to start fighting, lol.

I felt Daredevil was by far the best series, Defenders was a notch below DD, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage half a notch below the Defenders and the Iron Fist another notch below JJ and LC.

As far as prerequisites before watching the Defenders? DD definitely as characters from his series play pivotal roles in the defenders. Iron fist's story is important as it develops the villain organization the Hand. You COULD get away with skipping over JJ and LC, their stories are fleshed out slightly in the early episode but not much of their world crosses over into the defenders.

Quote from: Azrael on Tue, 29 Aug  2017, 17:03Does this mean we have to start fighting, lol.

Fire flowers at dawn. Ten paces.

Actually I've heard Sonic Mania is currently the best patformer on the Switch (at least until Mario Odyssey comes out), as well as the best Sonic game in years. Just think about that for a second – the best Sonic game in ages is on a Nintendo platform, and the best platformer on a Nintendo console is currently a Sonic game.

How times change.

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 30 Aug  2017, 15:29
I felt Daredevil was by far the best series, Defenders was a notch below DD, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage half a notch below the Defenders and the Iron Fist another notch below JJ and LC.

I go back and forth on JJ, LC and IF, but I basically rank them the same as you, riddler. DD's easily the best. Defenders is my second favourite. I know I'm not going to like The Punisher as much as DD due to personal bias, but I'm hoping it might top The Defenders and claim second place on the Netflix league tables.

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 30 Aug  2017, 15:29As far as prerequisites before watching the Defenders? DD definitely as characters from his series play pivotal roles in the defenders. Iron fist's story is important as it develops the villain organization the Hand. You COULD get away with skipping over JJ and LC, their stories are fleshed out slightly in the early episode but not much of their world crosses over into the defenders.

Yeah, it could be a bit confusing for anyone who hasn't seen the other shows. But I think Azrael will get the gist of it anyway. The most important thing to know is (SPOILERS for Iron Fist) that Danny Rand is the Iron Fist and is destined to destroy the Hand. In his solo series he befriended a martial artist named Colleen Wing, who was later revealed to have been raised by the Hand. Danny persuaded her that the Hand were evil and Colleen rebelled against them, defeating her former sensei Bakuto in the process. She and Danny then journeyed to K'un-Lun – the mystical Asian kingdom where he was raised – only to discover the Hand had got there first and slaughtered all the monks. END SPOILERS. The Defenders picks up shortly afterwards.

Getting back to The Punisher, a new promo has been released.

It's also been revealed that "another Marvel hero may be showing up," which has led to speculation of Marc Spector (aka Moon Knight) making an appearance.

the one thing the Defenders did which the Avengers did not was not just have these superheroes collide but have their whole worlds collide. Foggy Nelson, Misty Knight, and Trish Walker all end up crossing over into each others worlds, Without spoiling anything, I thought it was touching to have the heroes' loved ones all in the same room during the final battle.

Another big difference from the Avengers is that there is no SHIELD to bring them together. Initially I thought Claire would bring them together but  if anything it was Stick who brought them together, Claire seemed like an unwilling sidekick. The character still gets a good arc though and sends an important message that anyone can be a hero.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 30 Aug  2017, 22:53
Quote from: Azrael on Tue, 29 Aug  2017, 17:03Does this mean we have to start fighting, lol.

Fire flowers at dawn. Ten paces.

Actually I've heard Sonic Mania is currently the best patformer on the Switch (at least until Mario Odyssey comes out), as well as the best Sonic game in years. Just think about that for a second – the best Sonic game in ages is on a Nintendo platform, and the best platformer on a Nintendo console is currently a Sonic game.

How times change.

That hatchet has been buried long ago (it's surprising, however, that in certain corners of the internet the big 90's Console War lives on), but if it ever comes to that, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aq_dOLFmxA

Yeah, even after all these years, I find it funny when I see a Sonic game on a Nintendo console.

As far as prerequisites before watching the Defenders? DD definitely as characters from his series play pivotal roles in the defenders. Iron fist's story is important as it develops the villain organization the Hand. You COULD get away with skipping over JJ and LC, their stories are fleshed out slightly in the early episode but not much of their world crosses over into the defenders.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 30 Aug  2017, 22:53

I go back and forth on JJ, LC and IF, but I basically rank them the same as you, riddler. DD's easily the best. Defenders is my second favourite. I know I'm not going to like The Punisher as much as DD due to personal bias, but I'm hoping it might top The Defenders and claim second place on the Netflix league tables.

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 30 Aug  2017, 15:29As far as prerequisites before watching the Defenders? DD definitely as characters from his series play pivotal roles in the defenders. Iron fist's story is important as it develops the villain organization the Hand. You COULD get away with skipping over JJ and LC, their stories are fleshed out slightly in the early episode but not much of their world crosses over into the defenders.

Yeah, it could be a bit confusing for anyone who hasn't seen the other shows. But I think Azrael will get the gist of it anyway. The most important thing to know is (SPOILERS for Iron Fist) that Danny Rand is the Iron Fist and is destined to destroy the Hand. In his solo series he befriended a martial artist named Colleen Wing, who was later revealed to have been raised by the Hand. Danny persuaded her that the Hand were evil and Colleen rebelled against them, defeating her former sensei Bakuto in the process. She and Danny then journeyed to K'un-Lun – the mystical Asian kingdom where he was raised – only to discover the Hand had got there first and slaughtered all the monks. END SPOILERS. The Defenders picks up shortly afterwards.

Getting back to The Punisher, a new promo has been released.

It's also been revealed that "another Marvel hero may be showing up," which has led to speculation of Marc Spector (aka Moon Knight) making an appearance.

Defenders: Well, it seems nothing that can't be fixed by reading the "manual". I don't mind spoilers.

Punisher: If we go by Frank Castle in DD2, it seems Garth Ennis is one of their prime inspirations. I'm pretty confident it will be second best after their flagship, DD. Not exactly a Punisher fan but the Garth Ennis run (Marvel Knights, MAX, some mini-series) are favourites of mine, so I'll catch it the moment it's released.

Nice inclusion of Metallica's One there.

Looks brutal. Hopefully this will be a return to form for Netflix, because I've been underwhelmed by their recent Marvel shows.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's odd they still haven't announced a release date for this show. It's meant to be out in the next 2-3 months, yet they still haven't revealed when. With cast members scheduled to appear at NY Comic Con next week, we should have something concrete soon. But for now, here's the latest poster.

Earlier this week it was reported The Punisher panel had been cancelled from NY Comic-Con in the wake of the Las Vegas shooting. Now there are rumours the series itself is being delayed out of sensitivity to the victims.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that Chris Brewster, Charlie Cox's stunt double, is listed on the IMDb as appearing in two episodes. I wonder if we should read anything into that...

This series comes in at a very interesting time given that the gun debate in America (and up here in Canada too) is as strong as it's ever been so I wonder how political this series will get? The character itself took some backlash with a cosplayer dressed up as the Punisher bringing in a loaded shotgun attempting to allegedly kill Jason David Frank (the Green Power Ranger) at comic con.